WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Project Manager Job Description
Below is our project manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Project Manager Job Description
Our project managers are in charge of overseeing every aspect of our projects, ensuring that all deadlines are met without overstepping the financial boundaries assigned to each one. Our project managers will need to estimate how long each task will take and how the work should be delegated. They’ll account for potential delays in the project and develop contingency plans to ensure that everything is completed on time. Project managers must be able to anticipate and manage the many different moving pieces of the puzzle. They’ll need a solid understanding of the financials behind each project to stay on budget. Finally, project managers will also complete, compile, and produce all appropriate compliance documentation.
- Construct a thorough plan for the project, factoring in resources, budget, and timeline
- Define the scope and timeline of each task
- Develop a customized system to delegate responsibility
- Assemble the team and effectively communicate project objectives
- Conduct regular meetings with the team to monitor progress
- Construct a realistic budget and ensure it’s being followed throughout the project
- Maintain constant communication with stakeholders, updating them of the progress and soliciting feedback when appropriate
- Resolve issues and manage risks as they arise
- Complete and organize all appropriate documentation
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- Minimum of 5 years experience in program/operations management or a related field
- Experience leading and motivating a team
- Excellent time-management skills
- Superior reasoning and analytical skills
- Risk management skills
- Experience with budget management and resource allocation
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- Senior Project Manager certification via the American Society for the Advancement of Project Management
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE