A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Below is our radio station account manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Radio Station Account Manager Job Description
XYZMedia, Inc., is seeking a Radio Station Account Manager to service existing accounts and expand our account base. Responsible for developing persuasive proposals in direct response to client needs and/or opportunities, the ideal candidate is highly skilled in communicating and collaborating with our dynamic audience. As the Radio Station Account Manager, you will guide current and prospective clients, and sales staff, based on the market, platform, or station information. With the organization’s operating goals and budget in mind, your role is to negotiate rates and ensure client satisfaction.
- Working with sales staff and executives to define quarterly and annual goals
- Hiring, training, managing, and supporting sales staff
- Working with various departments to ensure delivery of quality products/services, aligning with the company mission
- Building positive working relationships with co-workers, customers, vendors, and the general public
- Positively representing the station at all times
- Working with sales staff and management to maintain fair and profitable pricing
- Building Powerpoint sales proposals and presentations
- Providing backup support and attending sales/client meetings
- Accurately maintaining endorsement information on a weekly basis
- Maintaining contracts, including distribution, mailing, and filing
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or prior media sales experience
- Knowledge of sales principles and practices, with demonstrated prospecting experience through networking, research, and cold calling
- Self-motivated, flexible, and creative; ability to handle deadlines and critical decisions with confidence
- Strong presentation, negotiation, and organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, translating business strategies into actions that generate sales/revenue
- Clean and professional appearance and strong interpersonal skills
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Fluent in a second language
- Flexible schedule; ability to work weekends, evening shifts, and holidays
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.