WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Real Estate Broker Job Description
Below is our real estate broker job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Real Estate Broker Job Description
Our real estate brokers provide agents with the managerial support they need to find leads and close real estate transactions. Brokers are responsible for managing a team of buyer and seller agents, and they sometimes broker deals themselves. Brokers must be comfortable approaching leads, negotiating contracts, and assisting with all steps of purchasing a property. As the area’s leading real estate agency, we’re looking for brokers who have experience with many different types of residential properties.
- Helping sellers promote their properties in order to attract better offers
- Advertising listed properties in print publications, online, and via other marketing channels
- Providing clients with local real estate information pertinent to their property and situation
- Mediating deals between property sellers and buyers, maintaining honesty and professionalism
- Estimating the fair-market value of properties based on comparable sales, purchase history, and other factors
- Showing properties to potential buyers and answering their questions about properties
- Drafting and completing legal documents ( agreements, contracts, etc.)
- Collaborating with attorneys, home inspectors, contractors, etc. when necessary
- Supervising a team of new and experienced real estate agents
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Current real estate broker license
- 1+ years of experience as a real estate broker
- Proven track record of selling properties
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects
- Ability to mediate disagreements between buyers and sellers
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills
- Excellent negotiation skills and closing skills
- Detailed knowledge of the local real estate market
- Knowledge of MS Office and MLS
- Evening and weekend availability
- Reliable transportation
- High school diploma or equivalent
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- 3+ years of experience as a real estate broker
- Experience representing tenants and landlords
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Bachelor’s degree
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE