A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Below is our research assistant job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Research Assistant Job Description
Our organization is currently searching for a dynamic research assistant team to assist our lead researchers in gathering and analyzing data pertaining to our current project focus. Projects will vary, but a qualified candidate will be resourceful, self-motivated, and provide team support with a positive attitude. Our ideal candidate is always looking to add value through their own knowledge and unique brand of creative solutions.
- Collect and analyze data
- Prepare reports to share findings
- Schedule and conduct interviews pertaining to research processes
- Analyze social, historical, scientific, medical, and other implications with summarized reports
- Support lead research findings through linking related literary and medical/scientific journals and publications
- Create accessible databases of prior research related to and supporting current research
- Attend research seminars and project meetings and prepare summaries of topics discussed
- Provide lab and field support for leads
- Generate proposals and cost analytics
- Manage project budgets
- Coordinate to identify research field parameters and screening processes for participants when applicable
- Maintain detailed records of research methods and variables
- Draw conclusions and summarize data findings
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Excellent communicator, both orally and in print
- Able to maneuver across digital terrain over a number of operating systems and information platforms
- Resourceful and adaptive
- Consistent attention to detail and ability to self-manage progress
- An overarching desire to dig deeper into information for the purpose of making necessary connections and answering questions, both big and small
- A team player mentality and a desire to support the success of the entire organization
- BA/BS from an accredited college or university
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Prior experience in research, data collection, or performance analysis fields
- Able to travel often for training/seminars
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.