WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Roller Rink Manager Job Description
Below is our roller rink manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Roller Rink Manager Job Description
XYZ roller rink is seeking a rink manager to oversee facility operations. Duties include managing the rink’s safety, customer service, workforce, and fiscal health. The ideal candidate has the ability to communicate with a wide range of people, working closely with the Building Maintenance Technician, Assistant General Manager, Director of Operations, and the rink’s various user groups. As the rink’s leader, you will be expected to collaborate with these departments to build a strong marketing and promotions strategy and ensure stellar customer service, ultimately leading the facility towards meeting short and long-term goals.
- Reviewing, adjusting, and enforcing organizational procedures and policies to ensure increased annual profits and facility usage
- Recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, and managing rink staff
- Providing routine updates to upper management regarding operations
- Collaborating with upper management regarding annual budgetary goals
- Collaborating with the Finance department to generate invoices and ensure timely receipt of payment
- Working with the Sales and Marketing team to promote facility usage, rental, and events
- Managing the rink schedule for meetings, parties, tournaments, and other rental events
- Working with the Facilities Management team to ensure that the facility and equipment are clean, safe, in working order, and meet all local, state, and federal requirements
- Addressing guests’ questions and concerns
- Delivering excellent customer service to all guests; establishing and fostering strong relationships with customers, user groups, and staff
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Management background, particularly in leading a team
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Strong leadership skills; ability to manage, direct, and motivate a team of 6+ employees
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to work long hours on your feet, including nights and weekends; ability to lift 50 pounds
- Commitment to delivering exceptional customer service
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Roller rink experience, including knowledge of equipment and operations
- Facility management experience, particularly related to scheduling for a variety of groups and needs
- Experience in creating, implementing, and marketing roller rink related programs
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE