WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Sales Manager Job Description
Below is our sales manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Sales Manager Job Description
Our company’s sales manager are strong leaders who oversee teams of experienced sales associates. Successful Sales Managers know our customer base, including their needs and motivations, and are able to lead toward purchases. We offer a competitive bonus structure that lets those who succeed in reaching targets reap the rewards of their efforts.
- Managing a team of sales associates
- Helping individual associates increase performance through personalized development plans
- Providing on-site assistance when necessary to help close deals
- Securing new leads for the sales team to pursue
- Meeting with existing customers to assess the customer-company relationship
- Developing and implementing new sales strategies and initiatives
- Working with other sales managers to share best practices and support one another
- Compiling regular sales reports for higher-level managers
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, or related field
- 7+ years of experience in B2B sales
- 2+ years of experience in a leadership sales position
- Established history of exceeding sales targets
- Excellent decision-making and negotiating skills
- Familiarity with common CRM platforms
- Strong communication, organizational, and time management skills
- Willingness to travel up to two weeks per month
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- MBA or a master’s degree in Marketing or related field
- 10+ years of experience in B2B sales
- 5+ years of experience in a leadership sales position
- Experience creating and implementing innovative sales strategies
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.