WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Senior Program Manager Job Description
Below is our senior program manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Senior Program Manager Job Description
Our company’s senior project manager for product validation and verification oversees a team dedicated to quality assurance. The senior project manager will be responsible for running the project’s day-to-day operations as the team works to ensure all products meet the company’s strict standards. The senior project manager not only oversees the department’s team, budget, and operations but also regularly works with other senior leaders on interdepartmental undertakings.
- Supervise team employees and contracted external consultants
- Delegate responsibilities and regular assignments to team members
- Plan and administer individual project budgets
- Manage project scope and changes
- Monitor employee performance
- Monitor revenue and expenses for individual projects and the entire department
- Implement project requirement improvements as appropriate
- Coordinate with other senior leaders on company-wide projects
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Minimum of five years professional experience in the field
- Minimum of three years experience in a management position
- Experience delivering finished commercial products
- Experience developing and reporting on project-specific metrics
- Experience troubleshooting project issues and assessing potential risks
- Expertise in cross-organizational management
- Expertise in change management principles and process improvement
- Excellent organizational, time-management, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to influence others toward goals even without a direct line of authority
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree or doctorate in a relevant field
- Minimum of seven years of professional experience in the field
- Minimum of five years in a management position
- Certifications in project management and/or organizational leadership
- Professional certifications and/or published academic articles
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.