WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Skin Care Expert Job Description
Below is our skin care expert job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Skin Care Expert Job Description
Our spa is now hiring an experienced skin care expert. The ideal candidate must have a minimum of one year of experience as a licensed skin care specialist and be educated on the latest in skin care treatments. The team at XYZ Spa takes pride in our work, providing a clean, safe, and relaxing environment for each of our guests. Candidates considering this position must be proficient in professional, medical skin care principles and able to educate customers regarding ongoing home skin care.
- Welcoming customers, working closely with them to identify their individual skin care concerns and needs
- Presenting a treatment plan and determining which products will improve clients’ skin quality
- Applying products and treatments to improve the overall health and appearance of skin (e.g. facials, full-body treatments, peels, masks, and scrubs)
- Maintaining accurate records of the skin care regimen for each client
- Removing unwanted hair using the latest industry techniques and products
- Recommending a home treatment plan and educating clients regarding skin care products (e.g. cleansers, lotions, and creams)
- Selling recommended skin care products from spa inventory
- Advising and teaching clients about makeup application
- Referring clients to other specialists when necessary
- Maintaining a sterile environment
- Assisting in ensuring that inventory is fully stocked
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Certification from cosmetology school and appropriate state licensing
- Minimum of 1 year of proven work experience as a skincare expert or in a related field
- Up-to-date with industry trends; familiarity with all skin care treatments and products
- A passion for serving and educating others regarding their individual skin care needs
- Excellent customer service skills; ability to communicate with a variety of personality types
- Self-motivated; strong time management skills and the ability to manage own schedule
- Clean and professional personal appearance
- Ability to stand for long hours
- Understanding of sterilization and sanitation standards
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Customer service experience
- Flexible schedule; ability to work during peak client times (evenings and weekends)
- Reliable transportation
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE