WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Tutor Job Description
Below is our tutor job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Tutor Job Description
Our tutors are responsible for helping students get ahead, no matter where they happen to start! They’ll be tasked with working individually with clients or in small groups. Tutors need to do more than absorb and understand the material they’re teaching. They’ll also need to be able to explain high-level concepts in a way that the student will understand. Our tutors should be comfortable employing different techniques to get their point across. For example, using a diagram to explain a concept to a student with strong visual-spatial skills. Tutors should also be attuned to different learning methods so they can adapt their lesson plans to fit the curriculum of different schools and institutions
- Working one-on-one with students or in small groups
- Supplementing original curriculum with customized learning plans
- Organizing workshops or projects to promote learning
- Devising lesson plans based on student strengths
- Monitoring progress of students and adjust approaches as necessary
- Researching and recommending specific tools (software, textbooks, etc.) that can further enhance a child’s learning
- Developing relevant tutoring materials (practice quizzes, worksheets, etc.)
- Communicating student progress with parents and primary educators
- Increasing student confidence through encouragement and praise
- Developing test-taking and time management skills
- Completing all paperwork and documentation
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 1 year of experience in a tutor role
- Thorough understanding of teaching materials
- General understanding of modern teaching methods
- Tech-savvy with the ability to use technology to further student learning
- Ability to motivate students to reach their full potential
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to adjust strategy as time goes by
- Flexible schedule to meet students during their free time
- Experience developing independent learning materials
- Willingness to travel to students’ homes
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent education)
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education
- Membership in an accredited tutoring association
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE