WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Veterinarian Job Description
Below is our veterinarian job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Veterinarian Job Description
Our small animal clinic’s veterinarians take pleasure and pride in helping animals live healthy lives. Our veterinarians treat a wide range of household pets, including dogs, cats, small rodents, birds, reptiles, and sometimes more exotic species. We offer preventative care, medical intervention, and surgery, and we’re looking for additional veterinarians who have experience in all these aspects of care.
- Performing wellness exams on animals to ensure proper health
- Recommending preventive treatments and measures as appropriate
- Examining sick and injured animals to identify their ailments
- Recommending appropriate treatments for any ill or injured animals
- Performing surgical procedures when necessary
- Educating owners about pet sanitation, feeding, and overall care
- Updating pets’ charts with each visit’s information
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- 2+ years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
- DVM degree or equivalent
- Current veterinary license
- Familiarity with digital radiography
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills and an uplifting attitude
- Team-oriented work ethic
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to work one Saturday morning per month
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience in small animal medicine
- Experience treating both birds and reptiles
- Willingness to provide after-hours care during weekday evenings
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE