WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Veterinary Assistant Job Description
Below is our veterinary assistant job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Veterinary Assistant Job Description
Our animal hospital is growing and we need an experienced Veterinary Assistant to join our passionate, animal-loving staff. We run a fast-paced clinic, available to patients for appointments and in emergency situations. The ideal candidate is comfortable around all different types of animals and available to work at least one overnight shift per week. If you possess the required skills and experience, this could be the job for you.
- Greet animals and pet owners as they arrive
- Show patients to examination rooms
- Take weight and vital signs
- Provide assistance to veterinarians and veterinary technicians during procedures and examinations
- Maintain a sterile environment for surgeries and procedures
- Prepare medications and instruments as directed by veterinary personnel
- Stock operating and exam rooms
- Provide care after procedures and calm patients when necessary
- Administer medications, change bandages, and collect samples for testing
- Adhere to safety and wellness regulations
- Educate pet owners regarding surgery and recovery instructions, pet health, insurance, and wellness plans
- Ensure kennels are clean and feed, bathe, water, and exercise animals overnight
- Perform light administrative duties
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of two years of experience working with animals
- Ability to work in stressful situations
- Ability to multi-task and efficiently manage time
- Proficient in Microsoft OfficeSuite applications
- Basic understanding of animal healthcare and behavior
- Passionate about helping others, particularly animals
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds and restrain larger pets when necessary
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Associate degree in a related field
- Minimum of one year of experience working as a veterinary assistant
- Relevant license(s) and certification(s)
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.