WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Writer Job Description
Below is our writer job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Writer Job Description
Our agency’s writers create captivating content for both digital and print platforms. They are outstanding wordsmiths and storytellers, and they’re able to tell our brand and product stories in ways that engage potential and existing customers. Writers must be able to meet deadlines, and a team-oriented attitude is essential, as many projects require input from multiple people.
- Composing written content for both digital and print publications
- Conducting any research and/or interviews necessary for pieces
- Remaining abreast of industry news in order to uncover noteworthy stories
- Ensuring that all written content is factually correct and accurate
- Accepting assignments from editors and pitching ideas that may work well
- Participating in regular content and strategy meetings
- Assisting with social media posts and A/B testing of web content
- Assisting with off-site digital marketing campaigns by pitching ideas to third parties
- Meeting deadlines for drafts and finalized pieces
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- 3+ years of experience as a writer
- Portfolio of published and bylined pieces
- Good references from past clients or employers
- Proficiency in MS Office, web searches, and database navigation
- Outstanding written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and remain on-task
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- 3+ years of experience writing for private corporations
- Experience editing others’ works
- Experience with social media marketing and search engine optimization
- Knowledge of content marketing strategies
- Familiarity with WordPress or other content management system
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or a related field
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE