How Do I Change My Registered Agent in New Jersey?
You can change your registered agent in New Jersey by filling out a Change Registered Agent/Office form online with the New Jersey Department of Treasury.
A business owner may decide to change their registered agent when switching registered agent services, if an agent resigns or goes out of business, or if they want to serve as their own registered agent.
Recommended: Northwest Registered Agent ($125/year) offers a reliable registered agent service and excellent customer support.
File a Change Registered Agent/Office Form
Filing a registered agent change form with the New Jersey Department of Treasury is the best way to change your registered agent year-round.
This can be done online via the New Jersey Department of Treasury’s Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services website. The steps for this process include:
- Enter your company’s New Jersey Business Entity Identification Number, business type, and incorporation/formation/authorization date.
- Review your reports due
- Complete and submit the form along with payment information
You can pay this fee by credit card.
Submit an Annual Report
If you’re close to the filing deadline for your business’s New Jersey annual report, you can use this filing to your advantage and also change your registered agent without needing to file additional paperwork. This is the simplest way to change your registered agent, but it must be done within the filing period.
Make sure to put your new registered agent’s information on the report. Once you file that report, you’ll effectively change your registered agent.
Why Change Registered Agents?
A company might want to change its registered agent for several reasons, such as:
- Changing From an Individual Agent to a Registered Agent Service: While individuals may act as registered agents (including a company’s own executives or employees), they’ll be publicly listed in the state’s database. Some people may consider this an intrusion into their privacy. Registered agents also must be available in their office between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. from Monday to Friday, which could be an inconvenience. Changing to a registered agent service solves these issues.
- Expanding Business Into New States: Limited liability companies (LLCs), corporations, and other formal business structures must have a registered agent for each state in which they do business. Not all registered agents have the capability to serve as a registered agent in every state. Some businesses prefer to have the same registered agent for each state rather than several different ones.
- Customer Satisfaction: Whether it’s about price, customer service, or the quality of the work, some changes happen simply because a business isn’t happy with its current registered agent.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can be a registered agent in New Jersey?
A company or person over the age of 18 located in New Jersey can serve as a registered agent, including individuals in your company. The only exception to this is that a company can't serve as a registered agent for itself.
Can anyone be a registered agent?
Anyone can be a registered agent as long as they: are at least 18 years old, have a physical address in New Jersey, and are always available during regular business hours at that address.
Can I be my own registered agent in New Jersey?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in New Jersey if you:
- Are 18 years or older
- Have a physical address in New Jersey
- Are always available during normal business hours to receive service of process in person
Note that this applies to you as an individual serving as the registered agent for the company. A company can’t serve as its own registered agent.
What does a registered agent do?
Registered agents help keep your business compliant by maintaining up-to-date paperwork. They also are in charge of accepting official correspondence on behalf of your business, such as paperwork from the state and federal government, tax forms, and legal notices.
How much does it cost to change my registered agent in New Jersey?
It costs $25 to change your New Jersey registered agent when filing a Change Registered Agent/Office form with the Department of Treasury.
How much does an New Jersey registered agent cost?
A professional registered agent service typically costs between $50 and $300 per year. If you choose to serve as your own registered agent, there is no cost.
What form do you file to change a registered agent in New Jersey?
You can change a New Jersey registered agent by filing a Change Registered Agent/Office form with the Department of Treasury.
Should I be my own registered agent?
You may serve as your own registered agent if you meet certain conditions. Some small business owners choose to do this instead of hiring a third party or appointing someone else.
But, because this position comes with extra responsibilities and potential inconveniences, many business owners decide it’s better for them to appoint another person or a professional service to act as their registered agent. You should weigh the pros and cons of each option and decide which is best for you and your business.
Certificate of Good Standing New Jersey
How to Name a Business in New Jersey
New Jersey Business Name Search
How to Register a Business Name in New Jersey
How to Start a Business in New Jersey