Last Updated: February 16, 2024, 2:06 pm by TRUiC Team

How to Keep Your New Jersey Nonprofit Compliant

Once you form a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Public Charity in New Jersey, follow this guide to keep it in good standing.

(To learn about forming a nonprofit, check out our How to Start a Nonprofit in New Jersey guide.)

Or, simply use a professional service:

Northwest Nonprofit Northwest (Starting at $29 + State Fees)

And, read our best nonprofit formation services review on Startup Savant.

8 Steps to Keep Your Nonprofit Compliant

To maintain a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation in New Jersey you must:

  1. Apply for exemption from state taxes
  2. File Annual Federal Returns for Tax-exempt organizations
  3. Maintain a Registered Agent
  4. File periodic reports
  5. Apply for permits and licenses
  6. Register/Renew Charitable Registration
  7. Register with the New Jersey Department of Revenue
  8. Comply with Public Inspection Rules

1. Apply for exemption from state taxes

A. State income tax exemption

Once your organization receives your 501(c) determination letter from the IRS, your nonprofit will be officially exempt from paying the New Jersey Corporation Business Tax. If you would like an official confirmation for your records, you can contact the NJ Department of Treasury to request one.

Regulatory Services Branch
New Jersey Division of Taxation
PO Box 269
Trenton, NJ 08695

Information: (609) 292-5994


B. State sales tax exemption

To learn more about New Jersey sales tax exemptions, read the New Jersey Division of Taxation’s guidance and fill out form ST-4 or REG-1E if applicable.

2. Annual Federal Returns for Tax-exempt organizations

A. Annual Federal Returns

Most tax-exempt nonprofit organizations are required to file an annual return with the IRS (Check the IRS website for a list of exceptions).

The annual gross receipt amounts for an organization determine which form should be used to file the annual federal return.

‘Gross receipt’ is defined by the IRS as “the total amounts the organization received from all sources during its annual accounting period, without subtracting any costs or expenses”

For gross receipts ≤$50,000 --- File 990-N
Gross receipts <$200,000 and total assets <$500,000 --- File 990- EZ
Gross receipts >$200,000 or Total assets >$500,000 --- File 990

For any questions, contact the IRS at

  • (800) 829-3676 (Form related questions)
  • (800) 829-1040 (general information)


Q: When is form 990 due?
A: Form 990 is due on the 15th day of the 5th month after the taxable year of the organization comes to an end.

E.g. If the taxable year ends on Dec 31st, form 990 is due on May 15th.

NOTE: If an organization fails to file form 990 for 3 consecutive years, it will automatically lose tax-exempt status.

B. Unrelated Business Income

If an organization has a gross income of ≥$1000 from a trade or business that is not related to the stated purpose of the organization, then it must file Form 990-T to pay tax on that income.

3. Maintain a Registered Agent

Any nonprofit that has incorporated must have a registered agent who has an office address in New Jersey. If your registered agent, or their office address, changes, you must file Form C-104G with the New Jersey Division of Revenue so that your Public Records Filing may be updated.

If you fail to notify the New Jersey Division of Revenue of this change, your corporation may be subject to termination.

4. File Periodic Reports

The New Jersey Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services requires all nonprofits to file an annual report, due on the anniversary of their incorporation. This report may be filed online through their website.

Failure to file the appropriate reports may subject your organization to termination.

5. Apply for Permits and Licenses

The majority of New Jersey nonprofits will not need a state-level business license. However, business licenses and permits are typically handled at the city or county level. Check with your local Clerk of Courts to determine if you are required to obtain any permits and/or licenses.

6. Register/Renew Charitable Registration

Charitable New Jersey nonprofits will most likely need to register with the Office of the Attorney General. Find out more about these requirements, including renewal requirements, on their website. If you must register, you may do so online or via mail.

7. Register with New Jersey Department of Revenue

If your nonprofit will have employees of any kind, you will need to register with the New Jersey Department of Revenue.

Registration is easy and can be completed online or by filling out form NJ-REG and mailing it to:
New Jersey Department of Revenue
P.O. Box 252
Trenton, New Jersey 08646-0252

To learn more about withholding requirements, access the Division of Taxation’s website. To learn more about all your responsibilities as an employer, access the Department of Labor and Workforce Development’s website.

8. Comply with Public Inspection Rules

To comply with federal regulations regarding 501(c)(3) charities, you will need to release the following documents to any member of the public that requests them:

  • Your organization’s annual returns for up to 3 years after the listed due date (including the following Forms: 990-PF, 990-EZ, 990-T, and 990)
  • Any supporting documents and attachments for the above 990 forms. However, you only need to include the nature of the contribution and the amount contributed for Schedule B.
  • Official IRS paperwork showing your organization is considered to be tax-exempt.
  • Your organization’s application for exemption and all supporting documents submitted with your application (including Form 1023).

Your organization does NOT need to share the following documents and information with members of the public:

  • Any portion of Form 990/990-EZ’s Schedule B that identifies who contributors are.
  • Anything considered to be an unfavorable ruling, which can include previous denials of tax-exempt status.
  • Any additional information permitted to be withheld by the IRS, including things such as trade secrets, patents, etc.

Recommended: Inform your employees about their rights and stay compliant by posting labor law posters in your workplace.


Q: Can I charge members of the public for copies?
A: Yes, you are permitted to request a reasonable amount to procure copies of requested documents.

Q: If requested, how much time do we have to produce the documents?
A: It is ideal to produce these documents within the same working day. However, if your nonprofit has limited office hours due to the time of year, or you don’t have a physical office at all, you should produce the documents within 14 days.

Q: Do I actually need to provide physical copies of the requested documents?
A: If a member of the public asks for copies of documents, whether in writing or in person, you are required to make them available.

NOTE: We recommend that nonprofits make these documents available on their website. That way, anyone who might request copies of these documents can simply head to your website to view and/or download them. This will help your organization remain compliant and save time dealing with these requests personally.

How to Start an LLC Tip Icon

To learn about forming a nonprofit, check out our How to Start a Nonprofit in New Jersey guide. To find nonprofits in New Jersey, use our New Jersey 501(c)(3) Lookup Table.

Related Articles