How to Keep Your Pennsylvania Nonprofit Compliant

Once you form a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Public Charity in Pennsylvania, follow this guide to keep it in good standing.

(To learn about forming a nonprofit, check out our How to Start a Nonprofit in Pennsylvania guide.)

Or, simply use a professional service:

Northwest Nonprofit Northwest (Starting at $29 + State Fees)

And, read our best nonprofit formation services review on Startup Savant.

9 Steps to Keep Your Nonprofit Compliant

1. Apply for exemption from state taxes

A. State income tax exemption

Once your organization receives your 501(c) determination letter from the IRS, your organization will automatically be exempt from corporate income taxes in Pennsylvania.

B. State sales tax exemption

To apply for a sales tax exemption, fill out form REV-72 Application for Sales Tax Exemption. You will need to renew your sales tax exemption every 5 years.

2. Annual Federal Returns for Tax-exempt organizations

A. Annual Federal Returns

Most tax-exempt nonprofit organizations are required to file an annual return with the IRS (Check the IRS website for a list of exceptions).

The annual gross receipt amounts for an organization determine which form should be used to file the annual federal return.

‘Gross receipt’ is defined by the IRS as “the total amounts the organization received from all sources during its annual accounting period, without subtracting any costs or expenses”

For gross receipts ≤$50,000 --- File 990-N
Gross receipts <$200,000 and total assets <$500,000 --- File 990- EZ
Gross receipts >$200,000 or Total assets >$500,000 --- File 990

For any questions, contact the IRS at

  • (800) 829-3676 (Form related questions)
  • (800) 829-1040 (general information)


Q: When is form 990 due?
A: Form 990 is due on the 15th day of the 5th month after the taxable year of the organization comes to an end.

E.g. If the taxable year ends on Dec 31st, form 990 is due on May 15th.

NOTE: If an organization fails to file form 990 for 3 consecutive years, it will automatically lose tax-exempt status.

B. Unrelated Business Income

If an organization has a gross income of ≥$1000 from a trade or business that is not related to the stated purpose of the organization, then it must file Form 990-T to pay tax on that income.

If your organization expects to pay $500 or more for the year in taxes on unrelated business income, your organization must pay a quarterly estimated tax on the unrelated business income using Form 990-W.

3. Publish a Notice of Incorporation

Once your nonprofit’s Articles of Incorporation have been approved, you must publish a notice of incorporation in two general circulation, county newspapers (one of which must be a legal newspaper).

4. Maintain a Registered Agent

Any nonprofit that has incorporated must have a registered agent who has an office address in Pennsylvania. If your registered agent, or their office address, changes, you must file Form DSCB:15-1507/5507/8625/8825 with the Secretary of State so that your Articles of Incorporation may be updated.

If you fail to notify the Secretary of State of this change, your corporation may be subject to termination.

5. File Periodic Reports

The Pennsylvania Secretary of State requires nonprofits to submit an annual report if they have changed their corporate officers. This annual statement may be filed online or via mail.

If you have not filed an annual statement within the last 10 years, the Secretary of State will require your organization to submit a Decennial Report.

Failure to file the appropriate reports may subject your organization to termination.

6. Apply for Permits and Licenses

Pennsylvania does not issue state-wide general business licenses. You may, however, want to check with your county/city clerk to determine if there are local requirements.

If your nonprofit plans to host charitable gaming (bingo, raffles, etc.), read REV-1750 to ensure your organization is eligible, and remains compliant.

7. Charitable Registration

Charitable Pennsylvania nonprofits are typically required to register with the Department of State by using form BCO-10. You will need to submit this form each year in order to renew your registration.

To determine if your nonprofit is exempt from registering, access the Department of State’s Exclusions and Exemptions Chart. If eligible, submit form BCO-9 to request an exemption.

Read the Department of State’s guidance for Charitable Organizations and The Solicitation of Funds for Charitable Purposes Act to learn more about requirements for Pennsylvania-based charities.

8. Employees

If your nonprofit will have employees of any kind, you will need to register with the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue and the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry.

You can easily register with the Department of Revenue online. You can also access contact details for the Department of Revenue.

You also register with the Department of Labor and Industry online. You can also access contact details for the Department of Labor and Industry.

9. Comply with Public Inspection Rules

To comply with federal regulations regarding 501(c)(3) charities, you will need to release the following documents to any member of the public that requests them:

  • Your organization’s annual returns for up to 3 years after the listed due date (including the following Forms: 990-PF, 990-EZ, 990-T, and 990)
  • Any supporting documents and attachments for the above 990 forms. However, you only need to include the nature of the contribution and the amount contributed for Schedule B.
  • Official IRS paperwork showing your organization is considered to be tax-exempt.
  • Your organization’s application for exemption and all supporting documents submitted with your application (including Form 1023).

Your organization does NOT need to share the following documents and information with members of the public:

  • Any portion of Form 990/990-EZ’s Schedule B that identifies who contributors are.
  • Anything considered to be an unfavorable ruling, which can include previous denials of tax-exempt status.
  • Any additional information permitted to be withheld by the IRS, including things such as trade secrets, patents, etc.

Recommended: Inform your employees about their rights and stay compliant by posting labor law posters in your workplace.


Q: Can I charge members of the public for copies?
A: Yes, you are permitted to request a reasonable amount to procure copies of requested documents.

Q: If requested, how much time do we have to produce the documents?
A: It is ideal to produce these documents within the same working day. However, if your nonprofit has limited office hours due to the time of year, or you don’t have a physical office at all, you should produce the documents within 14 days.

Q: Do I actually need to provide physical copies of the requested documents?
A: If a member of the public asks for copies of documents, whether in writing or in person, you are required to make them available.

NOTE: We recommend that nonprofits make these documents available on their website. That way, anyone who might request copies of these documents can simply head to your website to view and/or download them. This will help your organization remain compliant and save time dealing with these requests personally.

The Truic Flame Logo

To learn about forming a nonprofit, check out our How to Start a Nonprofit in Pennsylvania guide. To find nonprofits in Pennsylvania, use our Pennsylvania 501(c)(3) Lookup Table.

Related Articles