How to keep your South Carolina Nonprofit Compliant

Once you form a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Public Charity in South Carolina, follow this guide to keep it in good standing.

(To learn about forming a nonprofit, check out our How to Start a Nonprofit in South Carolina guide.)

1. Apply for exemption from state taxes

A. State income tax exemption

Once your organization receives your 501(c) determination letter from the IRS, you can then file for state income tax exemptions by sending a letter requesting exemption and including a copy of your determination letter. Send these documents to:

SC Department of Revenue
Attn: Corporate Department
PO Box 125
Columbia, SC 29214

Phone: 803) 896-1730

B. State sales tax exemption

To apply for a sales tax exemption, fill out form ST-387 - Application for Sales Tax Exemption and include a copy of your IRS determination letter, a copy of your charter and bylaws, your most recent balance sheet and income statement, and any other documents you feel would be appropriate or necessary to include.

SC Department of Revenue
License and Registration
Columbia, SC 29214-0140

Note: You may also apply for a sales tax exemption online through the South Carolina Department of Revenue’s online tax portal.

2. Annual Federal Returns for Tax-exempt organizations

A. Annual Federal Returns

Most tax-exempt nonprofit organizations are required to file an annual return with the IRS (Check the IRS website for a list of exceptions).

The annual gross receipt amounts for an organization determine which form should be used to file the annual federal return.

‘Gross receipt’ is defined by the IRS as “the total amounts the organization received from all sources during its annual accounting period, without subtracting any costs or expenses”

For gross receipts ≤$50,000 --- File 990-N
Gross receipts <$200,000 and total assets <$500,000 --- File 990- EZ
Gross receipts >$200,000 or Total assets >$500,000 --- File 990

For any questions, contact the IRS at

  • (800) 829-3676 (Form related questions)
  • (800) 829-1040 (general information)


Q: When is form 990 due?
A: Form 990 is due on the 15th day of the 5th month after the taxable year of the organization comes to an end.

E.g. If the taxable year ends on Dec 31st, form 990 is due on May 15th.

NOTE: If an organization fails to file form 990 for 3 consecutive years, it will automatically lose tax-exempt status.

B. Unrelated Business Income

If an organization has a gross income of ≥$1000 from a trade or business that is not related to the stated purpose of the organization, then it must file Form 990-T to pay tax on that income.

If your organization expects to pay $500 or more for the year in taxes on unrelated business income, your organization must pay a quarterly estimated tax on the unrelated business income using Form 990-W.

3. Maintain a Registered Agent

Any nonprofit that has incorporated must have a registered agent who has an office address in South Carolina. If your registered agent, or their office address, changes, you must file Form 33-5-102 with the Secretary of State so that your Articles of Incorporation may be updated. You may also notify the Secretary of State of this change through their online business portal.

If you fail to notify the Secretary of State of this change, your corporation may be subject to termination.

4. File Periodic Reports

The South Carolina Department of Revenue requires nonprofits to submit an annual report each year. In your report, you need to include a copy of your Federal Return and Form SC 990-T.

Failure to file the appropriate reports may subject your organization to termination.

5. Apply for Permits and Licenses

South Carolina does not issue general business licenses to nonprofits. However, your city or county may have their own requirements. Check with your local city hall or clerk’s office to determine if you need to apply for a permit or license through them.

6. Register/Renew Charitable Registration

Charitable South Carolina nonprofits will most likely need to register with the Public Charities Division if you will solicit or receive funds. You can complete your Registration Statement for a Charitable Organization online or via mail, and you must renew your registration each year.

In addition, your organization will be required to submit the Secretary of State’s Annual Financial Report form or a copy of your IRS form 990, 990-EZ, or 990-PF.

Note: Some organizations may be exempt from filing based on projected funds or organization type. If your organization is eligible, based on these guidelines, you must submit an Application for Registration Exemption.

7. Register with South Carolina Department of Revenue and Department of Employment and Workforce

If your nonprofit will have employees, you will need to register with the South Carolina Department of Revenue and the Department of Employment and Workforce.

Registration is easy and can be completed online for both departments. You can also access contact details for your local Department of Employment and Workforce.

If you’d prefer to register by mail, you can access the Department of Revenue’s form SCDOR-111 to register and the Department of Employment and Workforce form UCE-151 to register with them.

8. Comply with Public Inspection Rules

To comply with federal regulations regarding 501(c)(3) charities, you will need to release the following documents to any member of the public that requests them:

  • Your organization’s annual returns for up to 3 years after the listed due date (including the following Forms: 990-PF, 990-EZ, 990-T, and 990)
  • Any supporting documents and attachments for the above 990 forms. However, you only need to include the nature of the contribution and the amount contributed for Schedule B.
  • Official IRS paperwork showing your organization is considered to be tax-exempt.
  • Your organization’s application for exemption and all supporting documents submitted with your application (including Form 1023).

Your organization does NOT need to share the following documents and information with members of the public:

  • Any portion of Form 990/990-EZ’s Schedule B that identifies who contributors are.
  • Anything considered to be an unfavorable ruling, which can include previous denials of tax-exempt status.
  • Any additional information permitted to be withheld by the IRS, including things such as trade secrets, patents, etc.

Recommended: Inform your employees about their rights and stay compliant by posting labor law posters in your workplace.


Q: Can I charge members of the public for copies?
A: Yes, you are permitted to request a reasonable amount to procure copies of requested documents.

Q: If requested, how much time do we have to produce the documents?
A: It is ideal to produce these documents within the same working day. However, if your nonprofit has limited office hours due to the time of year, or you don’t have a physical office at all, you should produce the documents within 14 days.

Q: Do I actually need to provide physical copies of the requested documents?
A: If a member of the public asks for copies of documents, whether in writing or in person, you are required to make them available.

NOTE: We recommend that nonprofits make these documents available on their website. That way, anyone who might request copies of these documents can simply head to your website to view and/or download them. This will help your organization remain compliant and save time dealing with these requests personally.

To learn about forming a nonprofit, check out our How to Start a Nonprofit in South Carolina guide.

Related Articles