How to Name an Online Magazine
Launching an online magazine can provide an exciting opportunity to share your insights, knowledge, and ideas. Regardless of your magazine’s industry or style, though, you'll need to do a lot of work branding your new venture. The right name can help you kick start that process.
When brainstorming online magazine names, you should consider several factors. For example, you'll need to think about your magazine’s topic area(s) as well as the type of audience you want to attract. Importantly, effective names will help you establish a creative brand that speaks to what your new magazine will offer, teach, or explore.
Use our free business name generator above to discover an array of online magazine name ideas, or continue reading our quick guide to learn how to name your company.
TRUiC is a privacy-focused company. TRUiC's business name generator protects your personal information so that your searches remain private.
Step #1: Determine Goals for Your Online Magazine
Your business’s name is the very first connection you will make with prospective customers. It’s important that you define your organization’s mission, vision, values, and target audience as much as possible.
Before naming your venture, ensure that you fully understand exactly how you will run your company. Familiarize yourself with the industry and determine what it takes to start a successful business by conducting thorough research.
Here are a few factors to keep in mind when launching and naming an online magazine:
- Online magazines, also known as e-zines or digital magazines, feature articles, photography, typography and graphic layout design that can resemble print magazines.
- The successful online magazine publisher has a skill set that includes the talents of a writer, editor, web developer, webmaster, advertising salesperson and business person. Your goal is to develop a niche audience and content to regularly fit your theme.
- You’ll know your customer profile as soon as you’ve identified your magazine editorial slant. Many publishers start with their own lifestyle interests, hobbies or career fields, because these are topics they know well.
Step #2: Begin Brainstorming
We’ve shared some brainstorming techniques that you can use to get your creative juices flowing.
- Jot down some specific keywords for your online magazine business name. Here are a few examples:
- Online Magazine Team
- Insightful News
- Advice and Guidance
- Online Venue
- Business-focused Group
- Think of adjectives that would describe your online magazine business and the types of products offered to derive inspiration. Here are some examples:
- Experiment with other branding and brainstorming techniques.
Recommended: Once you have your name, create a logo with our free Logo Generator. To learn about other small business ideas, read our guide.
Online Magazine Business Name Ideas
We’ve used general brainstorming techniques to share several creative and catchy business name ideas for an online magazine.
Creative Approaches to Naming a Business
The following are helpful tips to help you find a unique business name that is relevant to you and/or your industry:
Capitalize on Business Location
The name of your city is one great way to brand your business. You can also think of nicknames that define what your city or state is well known for.
- London Underground Mag
- Pittsburgh Perspective
- Plymouth Rock Review
- Ohio Observer Online
- Delaware Digital Digest
Connecting Through Emotion
Words that evoke a certain emotion, reminders of personal experiences, and travel memories may be good for branding.
Pun Fun, Word Combination, and Alliteration
Make brainstorming fun by creating puns, combining two relevant words and/or concepts, or by using same letter and sound repetition.
Short and Sweet
Oftentimes, simply using one word for a business name can be more powerful and engaging for clients/customers. Carefully consider your brand and brainstorm adjectives and synonyms that describe your business idea. For instance, if you own an online magazine, ask yourself how you would describe what you’re offering (e.g., fun, engaging, innovative, etc.). Consider how you want your customers to feel (e.g., entertained, educated, challenged, etc.), and so on.
Naming your business can be as easy as just using your own name. You can also incorporate names of friends and family members.
Step #3: Use Our Business Name Generator
Use our free business name generator tool by following the 3 simple steps: Search, select, and get the perfect domain name!
Filter results by location, industry, and domain name to produce more customized brand names for your venture.
Step #4: Register Your Online Magazine Business Name
Visit our business name search page to see if your desired brandable name is available in your state.
Steps After Naming Your Online Magazine
There are some steps you can take to successfully establish brand recognition and credibility for your company.
- Choose a business structure. Formally structuring a business (e.g., LLC, corporation, etc.) reduces liability. We recommend checking out the Top LLC Formation Services.
- Design a logo for your online magazine business. Creating a logo is vital for increasing brand awareness, and there are several logo maker tools available to help you design a unique one. Use our online magazine business logo generator to simplify the process.
- Make a website for your online magazine business. Website builders like GoDaddy make the process simple and quick. Check out our Best Website Builder article.
- Use our QR Code Generator. Our QR code tool allows you to create virtual business cards (vCards), market your company, and share your new website with customers.