How to Name Your LLC
Coming up with a name for your LLC can be challenging. Your company’s name is often the first thing people will learn about your business. Building your business around a strong brand will help you to gain traction in the early days and dominate your market for years to come.
Our free LLC Name Generator will help you to find the brand that lights that fire and sets everything in motion.
Steps for Using the LLC Name Generator:
LLC Naming Guidelines
Your legal business name, or, your LLC’s name must follow some specific guidelines. Some of these guidelines include:
- Your legal name must include the phrase “limited liability company,” or one of its abbreviations (LLC or L.L.C.).
- Your name cannot include words that could confuse your LLC with a government agency (FBI, Treasury, State Department, etc.).
- Restricted words (e.g. Bank, Attorney, University) may require additional paperwork and a licensed individual, such as a doctor or lawyer, to be part of your LLC.
All states have different restrictions and guidelines when it comes to naming your LLC. Find your state’s guidelines on our How To Name a Business page.
Helpful Tip: The number one reason why LLC applications get turned down is that they don’t have use “limited liability company” or an abbreviation in the name.
Legal Name vs Brand Name
Something to note when naming your business is that your business’s legal name doesn’t always need to match your brand name. For example, your LLC might be named, “Johnson Ventures, LLC”, while your brand name is, “Roofing Plus”. Normally, this is achieved using a DBA (Doing Business As).
In this case, you would want to set up your naming structure like this:
- LLC Name: Johnson Ventures, LLC
- DBA Name (Brand Name): Roofing Plus
- Domain Name: roofingplus.com
It’s important to note these few things:
- DBAs are not offered in Kansas, New Mexico, or South Carolina
- If you are going to use a DBA your LLC name doesn’t need to match your brand name
- You need to make sure that both your brand name and LLC name are unique
- If the domain name you want is taken, you can add modifiers to find an identifiable name (ie. roofingplusflorida.com)
- If the .com domain you want is taken, you may be able to find a matching domain with a different extension (ie. roofingplus.co)
To learn more about DBAs, check out our guide: What is a DBA
After Naming Your LLC
Once you have a name picked out for your LLC, you will want to do two things: purchase your domain and create your LLC.
Purchasing a Domain Name
Securing the matching domain for your business is the obvious next step after deciding on your LLC’s name.
You may ask, “Do I really need to buy the domain now? I don’t plan on building a website for some time.” The answer is YES, you should buy your domain name ASAP. Even if you aren’t ready to build your website, here are the main reasons that you want to secure your domain:
- It’s inexpensive to register your domain
- You can control the domain and build a website later
- The domain allows you to have a personalized email address (Susan@YourBusinessName.com)
- Registering your domain will protect it from being grabbed by someone else
Purchasing the domain is easy. Using the search bar on the top of this page, just type in the name you want for your LLC, click generate, then follow the steps below!
Creating an LLC
Creating, or, forming your LLC is the first major milestone in your business. LLC’s establish legitimacy for your business while separating and protecting you as the business owner. This separation is called the corporate veil, and essentially means that if your business is found liable for damages, that your personal assets are protected from pursuit.
Forming an LLC is simple. Our free LLC Formation Guide will lead you through the process with ease. If you are a little unsure of forming your own LLC, you can choose to use one of our vetted LLC Formation Services to create your LLC for you.
The Random LLC Name Generator is an extension of TRUiC's Business Name Generator.
Branding Your Business
The strongest and most memorable businesses are built on a solid brand. When developing your brand, think about what your business stands for. Customers and clients are looking for companies that have a compelling brand, as much as they are shopping for high-quality products and services.
Creating a logo for your business is vital for increasing brand awareness. You can design your own unique logo using our Free Logo Generator. Our free tool will help you brand your business with a unique logo to make your business stand out.