Best Registered Agent Services of 2024
Looking for the best registered agent service online to help your business stay compliant and meet important filing deadlines? This comparison of the top 5 registered agent services of 2024 provides a side-by-side view of the main features you should care about when choosing among registered agent services.
Recommended Registered Agent Service: Northwest Registered Agent
Best Registered Agent Services Online
Best Registered Agent Services
BEST REGISTERED AGENT SERVICE
TRUSTED AND WELL-KNOWN COMPANY
There are dozens of online service providers that will act as your professional registered agent for a fee. We set out to find the best one by researching and ranking some of the most popular providers based on pricing, features, accessibility, and more.
5 Best Registered Agent Services in 2024:
- Northwest ($125/year) is the best registered agent service for small businesses.
- LegalZoom ($249/year)
- ZenBusiness ($199/year)
- Bizee ($119/year)
- Rocket Lawyer ($149.99/year) is best if you need ongoing legal services.
Northwest Registered Agent is the best registered agent service based on overall quality. Although their pricing is a bit higher than other services, it's worth it; Northwest provides a seamless user experience and premium customer service. Not to mention the same-day local scans and free digital mail forwarding.
LegalZoom is one of the most recognized service providers. If you prefer to use a company with strong brand recognition and are willing to pay significantly more, consider choosing LegalZoom. Just remember that you can find better options for less money.
Continue reading our full review of the top registered agent services online below. You'll find more information about Northwest, as well as honorable mentions and the benefits of using a professional registered agent service when you form a business.
You can also watch our video to help you decide which registered agent service is right for you and your business.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
1. Northwest Registered Agent
We chose Northwest Registered Agent ($125/year) as the best registered agent service overall. Northwest is well known for its exceptional customer service and knowledgeable staff. Their experienced Corporate Guides offer personalized support and help throughout the business journey.
Like many services that charge a premium, Northwest provides a more full-featured registered agent service than some of the others you will find. Your privacy is protected automatically by minimizing exposure and access to your personal data, and any non-junk mail arriving at your registered agent address is scanned and forwarded to you, not just service of process and documents from the state.
- Lifetime support from local Corporate Guides® (business experts)
- Free mail forwarding/scanning
- Same-day local document scanning
- Automated privacy features
Additionally, if you choose Northwest as your registered agent service, you'll receive a digital account so you can easily access important business documents and forms. Their site is simple to navigate, and you can receive extra support through their online tools.
Northwest’s registered agent service is more expensive than many competitors, but it’s not significantly more. When you consider what you get for that price, like local business guide support and full-fledged mail scanning and forwarding, it’s a great deal.
LegalZoom has high brand awareness, higher pricing, and a strong foothold in the registered agent services industry.
- $249 annually
LegalZoom's reliable registered agent services include features such as business data protection, a compliance calendar, and unlimited cloud storage. Although their prices are higher than the competition, you may feel more comfortable choosing their service since they have more experience and brand recognition.
ZenBusiness offers good customer support and competitive value.
If you need a registered agent, ZenBusiness offers registered agent services for $199 a year. ZenBusiness doesn't offer free registered agent services with LLC formation.
ZenBusiness customer reviews highlight the company’s ability to provide speedy support and create a high degree of customer satisfaction.
You also can upgrade to the ZenBusiness “Complete” registered agent services, which adds a worry-free compliance guarantee. This guarantee includes:
- Annual filing report alerts
- Documents submitted on your behalf (you’ll only be responsible for state fees)
- Two free changes to your filings per year (state filing fees may still apply)
- Coverage of the costs required to regain good standing if your company should miss a deadline or state requirement
4. Bizee (Formerly Incfile)
Bizee is a great choice on a lower budget. They have served over 150,000 customers since 2004, and their Learning Center is full of helpful information for business owners.
- One free year of registered agent services with LLC formation
- $119 annual fee after the first year
Bizee also provides a convenient registered agent dashboard, which allows you to track and instantly access important business documents. In addition, the company sends email and SMS notifications so you can stay updated on the status of your documents.
Honorable Mention: Bizee
Bizee is one of the best registered agent services if you are working with a limited budget and want a lot of added features.
5. Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer has provided services to over 800,000 businesses. For business owners who anticipate needing legal help, their legal services plans can include registered agent services for free for the first year.
- A 25% discount with a premium subscription
- $149.99 annual fee for non-members
Rocket Lawyer is known for providing high-quality legal services, help, and advice for business owners and entrepreneurs. The company is incredibly experienced with a large number of customers. Rocket Lawyer also promises a 100% satisfaction guarantee with their registered agent services.
Exclusive Deal: Need affordable incorporation, registered agent, and legal services? TRUiC partnered with Rocket Lawyer to offer our users a discounted price of $349.99 + State Fees (Regularly $649.97 + State Fees)! Learn more about the New Business Bundle, which includes a year of professional registered agent services.
Benefits of Using Registered Agent Services
A registered agent acts as your business’s main point of contact with the state by accepting and sending legal documents. While it’s possible to serve as your own registered agent, there are several benefits of hiring a registered agent service:
- Compliance. Your registered agent service will help your business stay on top of state requirements.
- Peace of Mind. With a registered agent service, you can focus your time, energy, and attention on growing your business.
- Flexibility. A registered agent service will enable you to choose your own business hours instead of having to make yourself available between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. every weekday.
- Privacy. The public record will list your registered agent service’s address — not your personal or office address.
Registered Agent Review Methodology
Choosing the best registered agent service for your small business comes down to three things:
- Type of business you have
- Needs of your business
- Additional services you may want for your business
The TRUiC team evaluates each registered agent service based on the following:
- Pricing: Does the company offer essential registered agent services at an affordable price for small business owners?
- Features: Does the company’s registered agent service include vital features that will help businesses stay compliant with the law? (E.g., receiving important business and legal documents, providing easy access to online documents, etc.)
- User Reviews: Have previous customers rated and reviewed the registered agent service positively, and is the service receptive to negative reviews?
- Customer Support: Is the service’s staff knowledgeable, friendly, and responsive to customers? Will they provide entrepreneurs with peace of mind throughout their business journey?
- Accessibility and Transparency: Is the information on the services’ websites easy for the user to navigate and understand? Is the checkout process straightforward, user-friendly, and void of hidden fees?
Overall, our main goal is to recommend the services that provide the best value for our users so they can more easily launch and grow successful businesses.
Yes. All US states require LLCs, partnerships, and corporations to have a registered agent and/or registered office. Depending on the state, registered agents are also known as resident agents, agents for service of process, or statutory agents.
A registered agent is an individual or business entity that helps keep your business compliant by receiving tax and legal documents on behalf of your company. Learn more about what registered agents do with our guide.
Yes, you can be your own registered agent. You could also appoint a trusted friend or family member, as long as they are 18 years of age or older, has a physical address in the state where the company is formed and is available (in person) during normal business hours (i.e., Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
There are plenty of advantages to hiring a professional registered agent service. Some of the reasons businesses purchase registered agent services include the following:
- Helps you stay compliant with the law
- Provides you with peace of mind so you can focus on your business’s success
- Allows you to maintain flexible business hours
- Protects your privacy
Our top-rated registered agent service is Northwest Registered Agent due to their premium customer service and plethora of features.
TRUiC’s team of researchers, writers, and editors dedicate hours to ensure howtostartanllc.com’s articles are accessible and actionable for both established and aspiring entrepreneurs. The team is made up of experts on a variety of topics from company formation to business growth. They consistently optimize the website’s content to ensure that all of the information is accurate and up-to-date.
Explore Individual Reviews
Learn About Registered Agents in Your State
Each state has their own specific rules for registered agents. Use our state-specific guides below to learn more about registered agents in your state:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington D.C.
- West Virginia