If you are planning to register a limited liability company (LLC) or corporation in Idaho, you'll need to appoint a registered agent.
Even though you can be your own Idaho registered agent, most business owners choose to use a service. This is because registered agent services are affordable and will:
- Protect your private information from the public
- Allow you to be absent from your registered office address during normal business hours
- Help you avoid potential fines and/or penalties.
We’ll help you make the best choice for your business.
Recommended: Northwest Registered Agent offers free registered agent services with LLC or corporation formation ($29 plus state fees).
Choosing a Registered Agent in Idaho
Appointing a registered agent in Idaho is a legal requirement for both LLCs and corporations; this can be yourself, another individual, or a registered agent service.
Keep in mind that all Idaho registered agents must satisfy the following requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a physical address in Idaho.
- Must always be available during regular business hours at their specified address.
Idaho Registered Agent Services
- Convenience: Working with a third-party service provider will allow you to be absent from your physical address during normal working hours. This is because you will not be responsible for receiving service of process on behalf of your business.
- Privacy: Since your registered agent’s address and name will become publicly available as soon as your business is registered, you can choose to use the details of a third-party service rather than your own.
- Compliance: Several service providers offer additional features that can help your business stay legally compliant after it has been formed (e.g., annual report reminders, etc.).
Let’s Find the Right Registered Agent for Your Business
We’ve tested and reviewed the most popular registered agent services.
Can You Be Your Own Registered Agent?
Yes, you can.
Acting as your own agent can be a good option if you will struggle to pay the $10 per month fee of hiring a third-party service. This is because it can be done completely free of charge.
Having said that, we recommend avoiding this route if you can for several reasons, including the fact that:
- You will not save a significant amount of capital if you choose to act as your own agent.
- You will be required to stay in your registered address during business hours in order to receive service of process.
- You will be solely responsible for receiving and reading all documents sent to your business via the SOS and ensuring that your business is not subjected to fines or penalties.
If you are forming a new LLC, it makes sense to hire a formation service that includes a free year of registered agent services. Reputable services charge as little as $29 for formation (excluding state fees).
If you are forming an LLC but prefer to file the paperwork yourself and act as your own registered agent, take a look at our How to Start an LLC in Idaho guide.
Best Idaho Registered Agent Service
If you're in Idaho and either looking to form a new LLC or switch your existing registered agent, it's crucial to consider factors like cost, range of services, reputation, and customer support.
Many people seek registered agents offering features like mail forwarding, document scanning, and compliance monitoring.
Northwest Special Offer
If you haven't formed your LLC yet, consider Northwest's LLC formation package for $29 plus state fees, which includes a free first year of registered agent service.
- Premium customer service
- Streamlined ordering
- Robust privacy features
To help you make an informed choice, we've compiled a table comparing the top 5 Idaho registered agent services below.
Top 5 Idaho Registered Agent Services
BEST REGISTERED AGENT SERVICE
TRUSTED AND WELL-KNOWN COMPANY
Whether you're starting a new business or considering a change, it's crucial to weigh factors like pricing, services, reputation, and customer support when choosing a registered agent in Idaho. Compare quotes and read online reviews to find the best fit for your needs.
Benefits of Using a Registered Agent Service
Many businesses choose to use a professional registered agent service when they form an LLC. This is because it can offer a number of benefits, including:
- Legal compliance: A registered agent service will ensure that you don’t miss an important legal document or notification (e.g., service of process, etc.) as a result of not being in your office (or as a result of a human error).
- Improved privacy: If you act as your own agent, your name and address will become public record on the Idaho Business Search. Using a registered agent service will help keep your information private.
- Discretion: When it comes to legal disputes, you will want to avoid receiving lawsuit-related documents in front of your clients and/or some employees.
- Better storage: Your service will generally scan all documents received and upload them online in PDF form. This means that you will always be able to access them online, and won’t have to worry about losing an important document.
A national registered agent service can also be beneficial if you plan to expand into other states as a foreign LLC. This is because, otherwise, you would need to find an individual or business entity that is a resident — or is allowed to transact business — in each state that you want to register in.
How to Elect a Registered Agent in Idaho
This is more commonly known as the Articles of Organization outside of Idaho and is the main LLC formation document that you will need to file with the Idaho Secretary of State in order to form your LLC.
Electing a Registered Agent Online
You can form your LLC using Idaho’s Secretary of State Online Services website ($100 filing fee). You will need an account in order to access the Certificate of Organization application.
Electing a Registered Agent by Mail
To form your LLC by mail, download the Certificate of Organization form ($120 filing fee), fill out the required fields, and submit a physical copy to the Idaho Secretary of State. You’ll be asked to provide your registered agent’s information under the number 3 on page 1:
How to Change Your Registered Agent in Idaho
If you want to appoint a new agent for your LLC or corporation, you will need to fill out a Statement of Change of Registered Agent, Registered Office, or Both form and submit it to the Secretary of State.
Mail or In Person:
Office of the Secretary of State
450 N. 4th Street
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0080
Consent to Appointment
Your new registered agent also will need to consent to their appointment. They do this by signing the Statement of Change form.
For more information read our how to change registered agents in Idaho guide.
Idaho Registered Agent FAQs
Can I be my own registered agent in Idaho?
Yes. Being your own Idaho registered agent will allow you to save a bit of money (since you won’t have to pay for a third-party service).
Having said that, we recommend avoiding this approach if you can afford to since it can be relatively time-consuming; you will also be required to be physically present at your office address during regular business hours.
Who can be a registered agent?
As of 2023, anyone can be a registered agent, so long as they:
- Are at least 18 years old
- Have a physical street address in Idaho
- Will always be available at their registered office address during normal business hours
What is a commercial registered agent in Idaho?
A commercial registered agent (generally speaking) has additional state registration requirements and will need to have filed a listing statement or registration with the Idaho Secretary of State.
Common examples of commercial agents include third-party registered agent services.
How much do Idaho registered agents cost?
This will depend on who your agent is.
If it is an Idaho registered agent service, you should expect to pay anywhere between $90 and $300 per year.
Note: We recommend using an LLC formation service when starting out in order to get the first year of your registered agent service free of charge!