North Dakota Registered Agent
LLCs are required to appoint a North Dakota registered agent to accept service of process.
Even though you can be your own agent, many small business owners choose to hire a commercial third-party service instead. This is because services offer:
- Additional privacy protections and flexibility
- Affordable pricing
- Reduced risk
We’ll help you make the best choice for your business.
Recommended: Northwest Registered Agent offers free registered agent services with LLC formation ($29 plus state fees).
Choosing a Registered Agent in North Dakota
A North Dakota registered agent serves as your business’s primary point of contact.
This is both with the state and with anyone who might wish to file a lawsuit against you (ie. deliver service of process).
If you are planning to register your business as an LLC or corporation, you will be legally required to appoint a registered agent; this can be a registered agent service or an individual, so long as they:
- Are at least 18 years old.
- Have a physical address in North Dakota.
- Are always available during regular business hours at their specified address.
North Dakota Registered Agent Services
- Convenience: Hiring a third-party service will allow you to retain a higher degree of flexibility on a day-to-day basis. This is because you will not need to be present in your registered office address.
- Privacy: Since your registered agent address and name will become publicly available, hiring a third-party service can be an affordable way of protecting your privacy.
- Compliance and Online Storage: Most premium third-party services scan your legal documents and upload them online in PDF form. This removes the chance of you accidentally losing an important document.
Let’s Find the Right Registered Agent for Your Business
We’ve tested and reviewed the most popular registered agent services.
Can You Be Your Own Registered Agent?
Yes, you can. In fact, anyone can be a registered agent in North Dakota, so long as they’re at least 18 years old, have a physical street address in the state, and are always available during regular business hours.
Having said that, being your own agent is — generally speaking — not recommended unless you are operating on an exceptionally tight budget.
This is because it will not save you a significant amount of capital (i.e., between $90 and $300 per year, etc.), and it is a relatively time-inefficient approach.
If you are forming a new LLC, it makes sense to hire an LLC formation service that includes a free year of registered agent services. These types of services can charge as little as $29 per formation (excluding state fees) and can save you a significant amount of time when you are starting out.
If you are forming an LLC but prefer to file the paperwork yourself and act as your own registered agent, take a look at our How to Start an LLC in North Dakota guide.
Best North Dakota Registered Agent Service
Northwest is the best registered agent service based on overall quality and transparent pricing. Northwest offers a seamless user experience and best-in-industry customer service and privacy protection.
When you choose Northwest as your registered agent service, you'll get an online account to access essential documents, mail forwarding, and business address services.
Northwest’s virtual mailbox service will scan your mail and forward it to you electronically. This means that you can keep track of your mail no matter where you are in the world.
Registered Agent Standard
LLC Formation + 1 yr Free Registered Agent Service
One Year Free Registered Agent with LLC Formation $29 (Plus State Fees)
Benefits of Using a Registered Agent Service
Many businesses choose to use a commercial registered agent service when they form an LLC. This is because it can offer a number of benefits, including:
- Legal compliance: The right registered agent service for you will ensure that you don’t miss an important legal document or notification (e.g., service of process, etc.) as a result of not being in your office (or as a result of a human error).
- Improved privacy: If you act as your own agent, your name and address will become public record on the North Dakota Business Search. Using a registered agent service will help keep your information private.
- Discretion: When it comes to legal disputes, you will want to avoid receiving lawsuit-related documents in front of your clients and/or some employees.
- Better storage: Your service will generally scan all documents received and upload them online in PDF form. This means that you will always be able to access them online, and won’t have to worry about losing an important document.
A national registered agent service can also be beneficial if you plan to expand into other states as a foreign LLC. This is because, otherwise, you would need to find an individual or business entity that is a resident — or is allowed to transact business — in each state that you want to register in.
How to Elect a Registered Agent in North Dakota
For your LLC in North Dakota, you will be required to appoint a registered agent when you are completing your LLC’s Articles of Organization.
This is the formation document that you will need to file with the North Dakota Secretary of State in order to officially form your LLC.
The cost for this is $135.
Electing a Registered Agent Online
To form your LLC online, file out the required fields in the Articles of Organization form ($135 filing fee required)and submit on North Dakota's FirstStop website. You’ll be asked to provide your registered agent’s information under Article 2.
How to Change Your Registered Agent in North Dakota
In order to change your business’s registered agent, you will need to visit the North Dakota Secretary of State’s FirstStop website. Search for your business’s name with the search function, then select “File Amendment” and “Registered Agent/Office Statement of Change.”
The filing fee is $10 and can only be completed online.
For more information read our how to change registered agents in North Dakota guide.
North Dakota Registered Agent FAQs
Can I be my own registered agent in North Dakota?
Yes, you can.
Being your own noncommercial registered agent can be a good idea if you are operating on a limited budget (since it can be done free of charge).
Having said that, we recommend not going with this approach unless you need to, since it can be relatively time-inefficient.
See our North Dakota Registered Agent article for more information.
Does North Dakota require a registered agent?
Registered agents are required for some North Dakota business entities but not for all.
For example, sole proprietorships and general partnerships do not need to appoint agents, whereas LLCs and corporations do.
For more information, see our What is a Registered Agent article.
How much is a registered agent in North Dakota?
This will depend on who your agent is. If it is a third-party service, it will likely cost you anywhere between $90 and $300 per year (with the first year being free of charge).
On the other hand, you can be your own agent as well, which will only cost you your time.
We recommend having a look at our Best Registered Agent Service in North Dakota review for more information.
How do I become a registered agent in North Dakota?
If you want to act as your own agent in North Dakota, you will need to write down your details in your LLC’s Articles of Organization.
This is the formation document that you will need to file with the SOS in order to get started.
See our How to File the North Dakota LLC Articles of Organization for more information.
What is a registered agent service?
A registered agent service is a third-party service that acts as your business’s primary point of contact with the Secretary of State, as well as with private businesses that wish to file a lawsuit against you.
Premium third-party services can charge as little as $90 per year or even come free of charge for the first year (if using a formation service).