Mississippi Registered Agent
If you're forming a limited liability company (LLC), you'll be required to appoint a Mississippi registered agent to receive service of process.
You can act as your own agent, or you can use a commercial registered agent service. Most business owners choose to use a service because:
- They're affordable
- They increase privacy and flexibility
- Using a service reduces risk
We’ll help you make the best choice for your business.
Recommended: Northwest Registered Agent offers free registered agent services with LLC formation ($29 plus state fees).
Choosing a Registered Agent in Mississippi
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
A Mississippi registered agent will serve as your business’s primary point of contact with the state and will be responsible for receiving service of process in the event that a lawsuit is filed against your business.
Appointing an agent is a legal requirement for corporations and limited liability companies (LLCs). This can be a registered agent service or individual, so long as they:
- Are at least 18 years old.
- Have a physical address in the state of Mississippi.
- Are always available during regular business hours at their registered office address.
Mississippi Registered Agent Services
- Convenience: Hiring a third-party service is the more convenient approach because it will allow you to be more flexible on a day-to-day basis. For example, you will not have to be physically present in your office’s address during normal business hours.
- Privacy: Since your agent’s name and information will become publicly available as soon as your business is registered with the state, you can elect to use a third-party service in order to protect your personal information.
- Compliance and Online Storage: Some third-party services offer additional features that will help your business stay legally compliant (e.g., annual report reminders, online uploading of legal documents, etc.).
Let’s Find the Right Registered Agent for Your Business
We’ve tested and reviewed the most popular registered agent services.
Can You Be Your Own Registered Agent?
Yes, you can.
Acting as your own agent can be a great idea if you are currently operating on an exceptionally small budget. This is because it can be done completely free of charge (besides your time).
Nonetheless, we recommend going with a third-party service if you can afford it (i.e., between $90 and $300 per year) due to the fact that it offers more privacy protections and is generally a lot more time-efficient.
Commercial registered agents can also help you stay compliant with the SOS.
If you are forming a new LLC, it makes sense to hire a formation service that includes a free year of registered agent services. These can cost as little as $29 per formation — excluding state fees — and will go a long way in ensuring that your filings do not get rejected.
If you are forming an LLC but prefer to file the paperwork yourself and act as your own registered agent, take a look at our How to Start an LLC in Mississippi guide.
Best Mississippi Registered Agent Service
If you're in Mississippi and either looking to form a new LLC or switch your existing registered agent, it's crucial to consider factors like cost, range of services, reputation, and customer support.
Many people seek registered agents offering features like mail forwarding, document scanning, and compliance monitoring.
To help you make an informed choice, we've compiled a table comparing the top 5 Mississippi registered agent services below.
Best Registered Agent Services
BEST REGISTERED AGENT SERVICE
TRUSTED AND WELL-KNOWN COMPANY
Whether you're starting a new business or considering a change, it's crucial to weigh factors like pricing, services, reputation, and customer support when choosing a registered agent in Mississippi. Compare quotes and read online reviews to find the best fit for your needs.
Benefits of Using a Registered Agent Service
Many businesses choose to use a registered agent service when they form an LLC. This is because it can offer a number of benefits, including:
- Legal compliance: A registered agent service will ensure that you don’t miss an important legal document or notification (e.g., service of process, etc.) as a result of not being in your office (or as a result of a human error).
- Improved privacy: If you act as your own agent, your name and address will become public record on the Mississippi Business Search website. Using a registered agent service will help keep your information private.
- Discretion: When it comes to legal disputes, you will want to avoid receiving lawsuit-related documents in front of your clients and/or some employees.
- Better storage: Your service will generally scan all documents received and upload them online in PDF form. This means that you will always be able to access them online, and won’t have to worry about losing an important document.
A registered agent service can also be beneficial if you plan to expand into other states as a foreign LLC. This is because, otherwise, you would need to find an individual or business entity that is a resident — or is allowed to transact business — in each state that you want to register in.
How Do I Elect A Registered Agent In Mississippi?
This is the official document that you will need to file with the Secretary of State in order to form your LLC (also known as the Articles of Organization outside Mississippi).
Electing a Registered Agent Online
You can form your LLC online by creating an account through the Mississippi Secretary of State website. You’ll gain access to all the resources you need to appoint a registered agent and form your LLC online. A $50 filing fee will be required.
How to Change Your Registered Agent in Mississippi
If you want to appoint a new agent, you will need to file an amendment with the Mississippi Secretary of State.
This can be done online by:
- Logging on to the SOS website
- Selecting the “File an Amendment on an Existing Business” option
- Completing the form and submitting it alongside a $10 filing fee
For more information read our how to change registered agents in Mississippi guide.
Mississippi Registered Agent FAQs
Yes, you can, although this is seldom recommended.
Generally speaking, we recommend hiring a third-party service if you can afford it (i.e., between $90 and $300 per annum), as this is undoubtedly the more time-efficient approach.
For more information on all the options that are available to you, we recommend having a look at our Mississippi Registered Agent article.
It can, but this will depend on how your business is registered.
If you are planning to start an LLC in Mississippi, then you will be legally required to appoint a registered agent in order to get started.
This is not the case for sole proprietorships and general partnerships.
If you want to act as your company’s registered agent, you will need to include your personal details when you are completing your LLC’s Certificate of Formation.
This is the formation document that you will need to file with the SOS in order to get started.
Mississippi registered agents need to satisfy the following requirements in order to be accepted:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a physical address in Mississippi
- Must be available for contact at their registered address during normal business hours
See our What is a Registered Agent article for more information.
This will depend on who your agent is.
If you choose a third-party service, you should expect to pay anywhere between $90 and $300 per year.
We recommend having a look at our How Much Does a Registered Agent Cost review for more information.