What Is A Mississippi Registered Agent?
A registered agent primarily acts as your LLC’s main point of contact with the state. You can expect your registered agent to receive things like tax notifications and compliance information on behalf of your LLC.
Registered agents are also responsible for accepting service of process. That is, if your LLC should be sued, your registered agent will accept the legal summons on your LLC’s behalf.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Mississippi?
It is possible to be your own registered agent. You could also choose to elect a member of your LLC, or even a friend you trust, as long as the person:
- is 18 years or older
- has a physical address in the state where the business is conducted
- is always available during normal business hours to receive service of process in person
Another option would be to hire a professional registered agent service. One of the disadvantages is that it is more expensive than acting as your own. However, using a service helps you avoid any fees or further legal trouble caused by missing or misplacing an important document or notice. This can actually save you more time and money in the long run.
Should I Use A Mississippi Registered Agent Service?
There are more advantages than disadvantages to hiring a professional registered agent service for your business. Registered Agent Services are also called commercial registered agents.
- Privacy: Your registered agent’s address will be listed on the public record -- not your personal or office address. This is especially important to consider if your business operates out of your home.
- Convenience: If you choose to act as your own registered agent, you will need to be available to receive official notices during standard business hours at the address you provide. Hiring a professional registered agent allows you to keep a flexible schedule.
- Discretion: If your business is ever sued, your registered agent will notify you immediately and discreetly. No need to worry about getting served in front of your employees, or worse -- your customers.
- Peace of mind: A professional registered agent service will send you regular compliance reminders and notify you of any requirements needed to keep your LLC in good standing. As a result, you can focus more of your time and attention on running your business.
- National Coverage: If you decide to expand your business as a foreign LLC in different states, a national registered agent service will be able to continue services there.
- Cost: Hiring a commercial registered agent service is more expensive than acting as your own registered agent.
What Is The Best Registered Agent Service In Mississippi?
ZenBusiness Registered Agent
ZenBusiness provides the most comprehensive registered agent service for the price, fulfilling all state requirements. They also offer Worry Free Compliance, alerting you of important compliance events, covering your annual filing, and providing expert support.
ZenBusiness's online document management system and regular compliance alerts make working with them worry-free. They'll scan and upload all your essential legal documents into a personalized online dashboard that you can access at any time.
ZenBusiness stands apart in its excellent customer service and their representatives are known for being highly knowledgeable about LLC formation and maintenance.
Registered Agent Service
(for those who already have an LLC)
LLC Formation + 1yr Free Registered Agent Service
$39 + State Fees
(Registered Agent: $119 after 1st year)
If you want to explore all your options, check out this article on the 7 Best Registered Agent Services written by our friends at Startup Savant.
How Do I Elect A Registered Agent In Mississippi?
In Mississippi, you will be required to elect your registered agent when you complete your LLC’s Certificate of Formation. The Certificate of Organization is the main LLC formation document in Mississippi.
Electing a Registered Agent Online
You can form your LLC online by creating an account through the Mississippi Secretary of State website. You’ll gain access to all the resources you need to appoint a registered agent and form your LLC online. A $50 filing fee will be required.
How Do I Change My Registered Agent In Mississippi?
You can easily change your registered agent service online by filing an LLC amendment through the Secretary of State website.
When electing your new registered agent, make sure to submit your new registered agent’s signed consent form. This step may vary by state and depends on who you choose to be your registered agent.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can be a registered agent?
Anyone can be a registered agent as long as the assigned person or entity is available on weekdays, during regular business hours (8 am- 5 pm), and at the given registered agent address. This is important in case of a lawsuit and to remain compliant with legal forms and deadlines.
Although you can be your own registered agent, we recommend you consider hiring an experienced and reliable registered agent service like Northwest or Incfile to handle this portion of your business needs.
How much does an LLC registered agent cost?
A registered agent service can cost anywhere from $50 to $300, but hiring a registered agent service will save you time and money in the long-run.
How much does it cost to change my registered agent?
Changing your registered agent can cost from $0 to $50 per state depending on the number of states you’re registered in to do business with your LLC.
What is a statutory agent?
A statutory agent is another name for a registered agent, a process of service agent, or a resident agent. Although most states use the name registered agent, different states use different titles.
What is a resident agent?
A resident agent is another name for a registered agent, a process of service agent, or a statutory agent. Although most states use the name registered agent, different states use different titles.
What is a service of process agent?
A service of process agent is another name for a registered agent, a resident agent, or a statutory agent. Although most states use the name registered agent, some states use different titles.
What does “service of process” mean?
Service of process means receiving legal documents, such as a summons. A summons is an order to appear before a judge due to a pending lawsuit.
What is a commercial vs. non-commercial registered agent?
Most states require LLC owners to provide their LLC’s registered agent’s name and address when forming your LLC. In some states, you will be asked whether you are electing a commercial or non-commercial registered agent. Some states refer to the professional registered agent as commercial agents and individual agents as non-commercial.