Is Rocket Lawyer a good deal, is there a better deal out there, and what have other customers experienced when using the service? In this section we explore these questions, and what we think.
Is It a Good Deal?
Rocket Lawyer is different from other LLC formation services. While you can have Rocket Lawyer just form your LLC, they also have a subscription-based model for ongoing legal services, including access to legal documents and legal advice.
Researched and created by legal staff, their library of contract templates can save a new business owner a lot of time. They can also connect you with an attorney for help with customizing or enforcing them. All in one subscription.
Here is a quick list of Rocket Lawyer’s main advantages:
- LLC formation services come bundled with other valuable legal services. Get ongoing legal support for a fraction of the cost of a lawyer.
- Access a massive library of quick and easy-to-use legal forms, including an operating agreement and other useful forms.
- Get a complimentary 30-minute legal consultation on all new legal matters with just a click or a phone call.
Who Uses Rocket Lawyer?
Rocket Lawyer is used by entrepreneurs who:
- Want to manage most of their important business documents in one place
- Don’t have much experience writing contracts
- Are worried about enforcing their contracts
- Expect or would prefer to frequently consult with an attorney for legal advice
- Have business priorities that involve protecting intellectual property through patents or copyrights
Here are some verified reviews (from the Better Business Bureau website) by people who used Rocket Lawyer to help launch their businesses:
“Rocket Lawyer was easy to use. There was one thing missing from an online form that I was filling out, so they put me in touch with a lawyer and it all worked out. I highly rate this company.”
“Every time I called with a question they were there to answer. No long time holding on the line. Even when I sent an email I got a quick response. The process of filing my docs through them went smooth, fast and easy.”
Is There a Better Deal to Start My LLC?
The short answer is yes. There are better options out there, such as our highest rated, ZenBusiness.
Rocket Lawyer’s standard plans are billed on a monthly basis. The free trial requires you call a hotline in order to cancel, otherwise, it automatically charges and enrolls you in a monthly subscription. The service also has a sub-par customer support response. Questions were routed to the sales department for more information.
Rocket Lawyer is worth consideration if you want ongoing legal advice and services past LLC formation. This platform is also great for new business owners who don’t have a lot of experience forming contracts.
We further analyzed what you should keep in mind before choosing Rocket Lawyer as your LLC service provider. We’ve separated these points into four topics, including value, customer service, ease of use, and included features, outlined below.
It took several tries to get information that the website could have already explained.
After a lengthy hold, we ended up routed to the sales department for an answer. The representative was polite and helpful but had a dual interest in closing a sale. The free trial model is prone to being a source of frustration for potential customers who might be unexpectedly charged if they don’t pay attention. Downgrading or canceling your trial subscription requires calling a hotline. This makes us feel as though selling is at a higher priority than service.
Although Rocket Lawyer can help file your LLC, it's designed more to help save on legal fees.
For $39.99/month, their subscription model gives you access to consultations with Rocket Lawyer’s national lawyer network, unlimited legal documents, and discounted filings. The legal support infrastructure is what really sets Rocket Lawyer apart.
The user interface is very friendly.
You can manage your LLC formation paperwork and other necessary legal documents at a glance. The platform even makes recommendations based on your type of business. The digital signature service makes creating enforceable contracts a breeze. Rocket Lawyer also guides you through each decision point for every form template. The most amount of time we spent building a form was about 5 minutes.
Rocket Lawyer excels at helping customers form their LLCs while saving money on legal fees.
By behaving as a middleman, they’re able to help law firms control their costs associated with finding new clients. The cost savings of this model are passed on to the customer. The result is a valuable and affordable service for new business owners.
With Rocket Lawyer, you can either pay for services as a member or non-member. Membership includes valuable legal services to support your new business.
The free trial subscription offers a taste test of Rocket Lawyer's basic features. The main highlighted services include:
- Access to a huge library of free contract and legal document templates
- One Premium document from their library for free
- One time only digital contract signature service for both template-created and original documents (requires Rocket Lawyer account for both parties)
- Ask a Lawyer service-- ask any question for free
- Customer support by chat, phone, and email
- Filing of one LLC formation application. For customer support beyond the 7-day trial, membership subscription is required
Who should use Rocket Lawyer's Free Trial?
The trial subscription is great for anyone new to writing contracts. You could spend hours browsing Rocket Lawyer's LLC-related templates alone. Each model comes with the full confidence in the staff of legal researchers behind it. You can even create documents for organizing personal matters like estate planning and bankruptcy.
The Premium tier includes the free trial features, plus:
- Free 30-minute phone consultation on every new legal matter
- Discounted rates when you hire an attorney
- Their “Ask a Lawyer” your legal questions service
- Business formation, free for new members, 25% off thereafter
- 25% of Registered Agent service (normally 149.99 annually)
Who should purchase Rocket Lawyer Premium?
Rocket Lawyer recommends Premium for customers who need legal forms and services. With that in mind, we believe this package is sufficient for most businesses as well. We recommend this level if you expect to need legal advice but want to avoid costly retainers.