Minnesota Registered Agent
All Minnesota limited liability companies (LLCs) must appoint a Minnesota registered agent to receive service of process.
Most businesses use a professional service because it's affordable and will:
- Reduce risk
- Increase privacy
- Increase the flexibility of day-to-day operations
We’ll help you make the best choice for your business.
Recommended: Northwest Registered Agent offers free registered agent services with LLC or corporation formation ($29 plus state fees).
Choosing a Registered Agent in Minnesota
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
A Minnesota registered agent will serve as your business’s primary point of contact with the Secretary of State.
Minnesota registered agents will also be responsible for receiving service of process in the event that a lawsuit is filed against your business.
In Minnesota, you are legally required to appoint a registered agent as an LLC or corporation. This can be a registered agent service or an individual, so long as they:
- Are at least 18 years old.
- Have a physical street address in Minnesota.
- Are always available during normal business hours at their registered office address.
Minnesota Registered Agent Services
- Convenience: Hiring a third-party service will allow you to operate with more flexibility on a day-to-day basis. This is because you will not need to be physically present in your office address during normal business hours.
- Privacy: Since your agent’s name and address will become publicly available as soon as your business is registered, you can choose to hire a third-party service in order to protect your privacy.
- Legal compliance: Several third-party services offer additional features that will help you stay legally compliant. This includes annual report reminders.
Let’s Find the Right Registered Agent for Your Business
We’ve tested and reviewed the most popular registered agent services.
Can You Be Your Own Registered Agent?
Yes, you can, although this is seldom recommended for a small business owner. You can hire a third-party service for a relatively insignificant amount of money (i.e., between $90 and $300 per year), and this will come with significant advantages in comparison to acting as your own agent.
This is particularly the case if you are planning to form a new LLC, as you will be able to use an LLC formation service that includes a free year of registered agent services. These can charge as little as $29 (excluding state fees).
If you are forming an LLC but prefer to file the paperwork yourself and act as your own registered agent, take a look at our How to Start an LLC in Minnesota guide.
Best Minnesota Registered Agent Service
If you're in Minnesota and either looking to form a new LLC or switch your existing registered agent, it's crucial to consider factors like cost, range of services, reputation, and customer support.
Many people seek registered agents offering features like mail forwarding, document scanning, and compliance monitoring.
To help you make an informed choice, we've compiled a table comparing the top 5 Minnesota registered agent services below.
Best Registered Agent Services
BEST REGISTERED AGENT SERVICE
TRUSTED AND WELL-KNOWN COMPANY
Whether you're starting a new business or considering a change, it's crucial to weigh factors like pricing, services, reputation, and customer support when choosing a registered agent in Minnesota. Compare quotes and read online reviews to find the best fit for your needs.
Benefits of Using a Registered Agent Service
Many businesses choose to use a professional registered agent service when they form an LLC. This is because it can offer a number of benefits, including:
- Legal compliance: A third-party service will ensure that you don’t miss an important legal document or notification (e.g., service of process, etc.) as a result of not being in your office (or as a result of a human error).
- Improved privacy: If you act as your own agent, your name and address will become public record on the Minnesota Business Search website. Using a third-party service will help keep your information private.
- Discretion: When it comes to legal disputes, you will want to avoid receiving lawsuit-related documents in front of your clients and/or some employees.
- Better storage: Your service will generally scan all documents received and upload them online in PDF form. This means that you will always be able to access them online, and won’t have to worry about losing an important document.
A third-party service can also be beneficial if you plan to expand into other states as a foreign LLC. This is because, otherwise, you would need to find an individual or business entity that is a resident — or is allowed to transact business — in each state that you want to register in.
How to Elect a Registered Agent in Minnesota
This is the formation document that you will need to file with the Minnesota Secretary of State — alongside the processing fee — in order to form your LLC.
Electing a Registered Agent Online
You can form your LLC online by creating an account through the Minnesota Secretary of State website ($155 filing fee required). After accepting the terms and conditions, you’ll gain access to a variety of electronic forms, including the Articles of Organization. This is where you’ll appoint your registered agent.
Electing a Registered Agent by Mail
To form your LLC by mail, download the Articles of Organization, fill out the required fields and submit a physical copy with the Secretary of State (along with the $135 filing fee). Your registered agent’s name and contact information will be requested in Section 2.
How to Change Your Registered Agent in Minnesota
If you want to appoint a new agent for your business, you will need to fill out a Notice of Change of Registered Office/Registered Agent form and submit it to the Secretary of State.
You can do this online, by mail, or in person for the applicable filing fee:
- Minnesota Corporations, Nonprofits, and Cooperatives as well as Minnesota and Foreign LLCs: $55 for expedited service when filing in person or online, $35 if filing by mail
- Foreign Corporations, Nonprofits, and Cooperatives: $70 for expedited service when filing in person or online, $50 if filing by mail
Mail or In Person:
Minnesota Secretary of State - Business Services
Retirement Systems of Minnesota Building
60 Empire Drive, Suite 100
St Paul, MN 55103
For more information read our how to change registered agents in Minnesota guide.
Yes, you can, although this is generally not recommended.
This is because acting as your own agent will not save you a significant amount of capital (e.g., around $90 per year), and it is significantly more inefficient from a time management point of view.
For more information, we recommend having a look at our Minnesota Registered Agent overview.
Minnesota registered agents are required to satisfy the following requirements in order to be accepted:
- Must have a physical street address in Minnesota
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be available at their address during regular business hours
For more information, we recommend checking out our What is a Registered Agent article.
Yes, you do.
If you want to register your business as an LLC in Minnesota, you will need to appoint a registered agent when you are completing your Articles of Organization.
Registered agents will also be needed for other formal business entities, such as C corps and nonprofits.
You can change your registered agent in MN via mail, in person, or online by submitting a Notice of Change form.
Keep in mind that the fee varies depending on how you submit your form and your business structure.
Have a look at our How Do I Change My Registered Agent in Minnesota guide for more information.