Louisiana Registered Agent
LLCs must elect a Louisiana registered agent to accept service of process.
You can be your own agent, but most small business owners choose to use a third-party service. Services can be very affordable, and they go a long way in:
- Reducing risk
- Improving privacy and increasing day-to-day flexibility
- Ensuring documents are stored safely online
We’ll help you make the right choice for your small business.
Recommended: Northwest Registered Agent offers free registered agent services with LLC formation ($29 plus state fees).
Choosing a Registered Agent in Louisiana
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Appointing a registered agent can be a legal requirement in Louisiana depending on how your business is registered. This can be a registered agent service or an individual, as long as:
- They have a physical street address in the state of Louisiana.
- They are at least 18 years old.
- They are always available for contact during regular business hours at their registered office address.
Louisiana Registered Agent Services
- Convenience: Working with a third-party service provider can be a great way of improving your flexibility on a day-to-day basis. This is because you will not be required to be physically present in your business’s address.
- Privacy: Your registered agent’s address and name will become publicly available as soon as your LLC is registered with the state. If you act as your own agent, this will be your own personal information.
- Legal compliance: Several third-party service providers come with additional features that will help you stay legally compliant (e.g., annual report reminders, etc.).
Let’s Find the Right Registered Agent for Your Business
We’ve tested and reviewed the most popular registered agent services.
Can You Be Your Own Registered Agent?
Yes, you can.
If you want to be your own agent, you will need to include your personal details when you are filling out and completing your Articles of Organization.
This can be a great idea if you are operating on a tight budget (since it can be done free of charge).
Having said that, we recommend avoiding this route if you can since it won’t save you a significant amount of capital overall (i.e., between $90 and $300 per year).
Hiring a third-party service instead can also provide other benefits, such as improved privacy and flexibility.
If you are forming a new LLC, it makes sense to hire an LLC formation service that includes a free year of registered agent services. These can charge as little as $29 per formation (plus state fees) and will ensure that your corporate filings do not get rejected.
If you are forming an LLC but prefer to file the paperwork yourself and act as your own registered agent, take a look at our How to Start an LLC in Louisiana guide.
Best Louisiana Registered Agent Service
If you're in Louisiana and either looking to form a new LLC or switch your existing registered agent, it's crucial to consider factors like cost, range of services, reputation, and customer support.
Many people seek registered agents offering features like mail forwarding, document scanning, and compliance monitoring.
To help you make an informed choice, we've compiled a table comparing the top 5 Louisiana registered agent services below.
Best Registered Agent Services
BEST REGISTERED AGENT SERVICE
TRUSTED AND WELL-KNOWN COMPANY
Whether you're starting a new business or considering a change, it's crucial to weigh factors like pricing, services, reputation, and customer support when choosing a registered agent in Louisiana. Compare quotes and read online reviews to find the best fit for your needs.
Benefits of Using a Registered Agent Service
Many businesses choose to use a professional registered agent service when they form an LLC. This is because it can offer a number of benefits, including:
- Legal compliance: A registered agent service will ensure that you don’t miss an important legal document or notification (e.g., service of process, etc.) as a result of not being in your office (or as a result of a human error).
- Improved privacy: If you act as your own agent, your name and address will become public record on the Louisiana Commercial Search. Using a registered agent service will help keep your information private.
- Discretion: When it comes to legal disputes, you will want to avoid receiving lawsuit-related documents in front of your clients and/or some employees.
- Better storage: Your service will generally scan all documents received and upload them online in PDF form. This means that you will always be able to access them online, and won’t have to worry about losing an important document.
A good registered agent service can also be beneficial if you plan to expand into other states as a foreign LLC. This is because, otherwise, you would need to find an individual or business entity that is a resident — or is allowed to transact business — in each state that you want to register in.
How Do I Elect A Registered Agent In Louisiana?
This is the formation document that you will need to file with the Louisiana Secretary of State in order to form your LLC.
Note: Your agent will need to sign the Initial Report section of your Articles of Organization in front of a notary public to be accepted.
Electing a Registered Agent Online
You can form your LLC online at Louisiana geauxBIZ ($100 filing fee required). You’ll have to create an account and follow the steps accordingly.
Electing a Registered Agent by Mail
To form your LLC by mail or in-person, visit the Louisiana Secretary of State website ($100 filing fee required) and download the Articles of Organization. Your registered agent’s name and contact information will be requested in section three of the initial report form.
How to Change Your Registered Agent in Louisiana
In order to appoint a new agent, you will need to submit a Change of Registered Agent form with the Secretary of State.
Keep in mind that you will need to file a different form depending on how your business is registered:
This can be done online via Louisiana’s geauxBIZ website, by mail, by fax, or in person.
P.O. Box 94125
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9125
Louisiana Secretary of State
8585 Archives Ave.
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Check out our full guide to changing registered agents in Louisiana.
Consent to Appointment
Your new registered agent also will need to consent to their appointment. They can do this by signing the change form.
Check out our full guide on how to change registered agents in Louisiana.
Registered Agent FAQ
Yes, you can.
Having said that, you will need to satisfy the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a physical street address in Louisiana
- Be available during normal business hours at your registered office address.
For more information, we recommend having a look at our Louisiana Registered Agent article.
It can, although this will depend on how your business is registered.
For example, LLCs and corporations are required to elect registered agents in order to be formed, whereas sole proprietorships do not.
For more information, we recommend having a look at our What is a Registered Agent article.
You can change your registered agent in Louisiana by filing a Change of Registered Agent form with the Secretary of State.
This can be done online via Louisiana’s geauxBIZ website or via mail.
Have a look at our How Do I Change My Registered Agent in Louisiana overview for more information.
“Agent for service of process” — also known as a registered agent — refers to an individual that acts as your business’s point of contact with the Secretary of State and receives important government correspondence on behalf of your business (e.g., annual reports, tax filings, etc.).
You can be your own agent, or you can use a third-party registered agent service instead.
This will depend on who your agent is. For example, you can use a third-party service for around $90 to $300 per year, or you can act as your own agent for free.
We recommend having a look at our How Much Does a Registered Agent Cost article for more information.