How to Search for a Business Entity Name
Performing an LLC name availability search is easy with TRUiC's free guide for all fifty states. Simply select your state and follow the instructions to find out if the name you want is available in your state.
You can also look up an existing business entity or DBA name. In some states, you can access your own company's formation documents and take care of important administrative tasks for your LLC.
Ready to search for your LLC name? Select your state to learn how to do a business entity name search:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington D.C.
- West Virginia
Reasons to Do a Business Name Search
- To check if the name you want for your LLC is available for use.
- Look up an existing business entity to check its status with the state and access basic business info.
- Find out if your own LLC has been officially formed in your state.
- Perform important administrative tasks for your business (only in some states).
Example: Florida LLC Lookup
Business Entity Name Search
- Alabama Business Entity Search
- Alaska Corporations Database
- Arizona eCorp Business Entity Search
- Arkansas Business Entity Search
- California Business Search
- Colorado Business Database Search
- Connecticut Business Inquiry Search
- Delaware Business Entity Search
- D.C. Registered Entities Search
- Florida Business Name Search
- Georgia Business Search
- Hawaii Business Entity & Documents Search
- Idaho Business Entity Search
- Illinois Corporation & LLC Search
- Indiana Business Search
- Iowa Business Entities Search
- Kansas Business Entity Search Station
- Kentucky FastTrack Business Organization Search
- Louisiana Business Filings Search
- Maine Corporate Name Search
- Maryland Charter Record Search
- Massachusetts Business Entity Search
- Michigan Business Entity Search
- Minnesota Business Entities Search
- Mississippi Business Search
- Missouri Business Entity Search
- Montana Business Entities Search
- Nebraska Corporation and Business Search
- Nevada Business Entity Search
- New Hampshire QuickStart Business Search
- New Jersey Business Entity Name Search
- New Mexico Business Entity Search
- New York Corporation and Business Entity Database
- North Carolina Corporate Name Search
- North Dakota Corporate Name Search
- Ohio Business Search
- Oklahoma Search Corporation Entities
- Oregon Business Name Search
- Pennsylvania Business Entity Search
- Rhode Island Corporate Database
- South Carolina Search Business Filings
- South Dakota Business Information Search
- Tennessee Business Information Search
- Texas Taxable Entity Search
- Utah Business Name Search
- Vermont Business Search
- Virginia Business Entity Search
- Washington Corporations Search
- West Virginia Business Entity Search
- Wisconsin Corporate Records Search
- Wyoming Business Entity Search
Frequently Asked Questions
Is my business name taken?
The best way to find out if your business name is taken is to do a business entity search within your state, check Federal Trademark Records, and search the web to find businesses with the same or a similar name.
To find the business name search in your state, check out the links above, and when you've found a name that is available read our guide on how to register a business name.
Can I name my LLC anything?
No, most states have restrictions on what an LLC can be named, it cannot include words that could confuse your LLC with a government agency and other restricted words may require more paperwork.
Read our guide on naming an LLC for more information and links to naming restrictions in your state.