How to Name a Record Label
The music industry includes plenty of people trying to become professional singers. If you plan to launch a record label, you’re in a great position to help them record and distribute their songs to the public. But, you’ll first need to choose a brand name for your new company.
A good business name could help you attract more aspiring musicians as clients. While record labels can have fun names like “Unicorn Singers” or “Master Songstresses,” you may opt for a simpler option like “Masterson Records.” Try to choose a name that reflects what your label does and who it represents. Ideally, it also should include keywords that’ll help your venture show up in online searches.
Use our free business name generator above to discover an array of record label business name ideas, or continue reading our quick guide to learn how to name your company.
TRUiC is a privacy-focused company. TRUiC's business name generator protects your personal information so that your searches remain private.
Step #1: Determine Goals for Your Record Label
Your business’s name is the very first connection you will make with prospective customers. It’s important that you define your organization’s mission, vision, values, and target audience as much as possible.
Before naming your venture, ensure that you fully understand exactly how you will run your company. Familiarize yourself with the industry and determine what it takes to start a successful business by conducting thorough research.
Here are a few factors to keep in mind when launching and naming a record label:
- Do you have a passion for music? Do you love discovering new and original bands and solo artists? Perhaps you should start your own record label and present your new finds to an equally appreciative audience.
- With the Internet, it can be easier than ever to start at least a tiny independent, or indie, label and generate a response.
- Communication skills are important since you’ll need to get unsigned bands to share your enthusiasm and be able to sell your music to listeners and possibly distributors, entertainment venues and other players in the field.
- Go to bars, clubs and other performance venues where your signed bands are playing and find out who your customers are in terms of age, fashion, education level, and lifestyle.
Step #2: Begin Brainstorming
We’ve shared some brainstorming techniques that you can use to get your creative juices flowing.
- Jot down some specific keywords for your record label business name. Here are a few examples:
- Recording Studio
- Music Company
- Music Shop
- Think of adjectives that would describe your record label business and the types of products offered to derive inspiration. Here are some examples:
- Experiment with other branding and brainstorming techniques.
Recommended: Once you have your name, create a logo with our free Logo Generator. To learn about other small business ideas, read our guide.
Record Label Business Name Ideas
We’ve used general brainstorming techniques to share several creative and catchy business name ideas for a record label.
Creative Approaches to Naming a Record Label
The following are helpful tips to help you find a unique business name that is relevant to you and/or your industry:
Capitalize on Business Location
The name of your city is one great way to brand your business. You can also think of nicknames that define what your city or state is well known for.
- Birch Street Records
- Downtown Dallas Records
- Greater Tulsa Recording
- ATX Record Group
- Northwest Music Management
Connecting Through Emotion
Words that evoke a certain emotion, reminders of personal experiences, and travel memories may be good for branding.
Pun Fun, Word Combination, and Alliteration
Make brainstorming fun by creating puns, combining two relevant words and/or concepts, or by using same letter and sound repetition.
Short and Sweet
Oftentimes, simply using one word for a business name can be more powerful and engaging for clients/customers. Carefully consider your brand and brainstorm adjectives and synonyms that describe your business idea. For instance, if you own a record label business, ask yourself how you would describe what you’re offering (e.g. production assistance, album recordings, marketing, etc.). Consider how you want your customers to feel (creative, successful, fulfilled, etc.), and so on.
Naming your business can be as easy as just using your own name. You can also incorporate names of friends and family members.
Step #3: Use Our Business Name Generator
Use our free business name generator tool by following the 3 simple steps: Search, select, and get the perfect domain name!
Filter results by location, industry, and domain name to produce more customized brand names for your venture.
Step #4: Register Your Record Label Business Name
Visit our business name search page to see if your desired brandable record label business name is available in your state.
Steps After Naming Your Record Label
There are some steps you can take to successfully establish brand recognition and credibility for your company.
- Choose a business structure. Formally structuring a business (e.g., LLC, corporation, etc.) reduces liability. We recommend checking out the Top LLC Formation Services.
- Design a logo for your record label. Creating a logo is vital for increasing brand awareness, and there are several logo maker tools available to help you design a unique one. Use our record label business logo generator to simplify the process.
- Make a website for your record label. Website builders like GoDaddy make the process simple and quick. Check out our Best Website Builder article.
- Use our QR Code Generator. Our QR code tool allows you to create virtual business cards (vCards), market your company, and share your new website with customers.