How Do I Change My Registered Agent in Rhode Island?
You can change your Rhode Island registered agent, sometimes known in the state as a resident agent, by submitting a Statement of Change of Registered Agent form with the Rhode Island Department of State.
The easiest way to file this form is to follow the simple instructions we’ve laid out for you below.
Alternatively, most registered agent services will file this information on your behalf.
Recommended: Northwest Registered Agent ($125/year) offers a reliable registered agent service and excellent customer support.
Changing Rhode Island Registered Agents
Whether you’re changing Rhode Island registered agent services, your resident agent resigns, or you want to be your own agent, you can follow the steps below to make the change.
Changing Your Registered Agent When Using a Professional Service
If you are hiring a new registered agent service, they will file the necessary paperwork for you.
The benefits of using a professional service are:
- Less Risk: A professional registered agent service will ensure that you don’t miss important legal documents or notifications (e.g., service of process, legal correspondence, etc.).
- More Flexibility: A third-party service will always be present to accept service of process during normal business hours so that you don’t have to be at your registered office.
- Privacy: If you act as your own agent, your name and address will become part of the public record. Using a registered agent service will help keep your information private. You’ll also avoid receiving lawsuit-related documents in front of your clients.
- Peace of mind: Using a registered agent service allows you to focus on running and growing your business. This is cited by many limited liability companies as the main reason for using a service.
Let’s Find the Right Registered Agent for Your Business
We’ve tested and reviewed the most popular registered agent services.
Changing Your Registered Agent Online
You can complete and submit a Statement of Change of Registered Agent via the Rhode Island Department of State’s Business Services Online Filing System. The steps for this process include:
- Log in to the website
- Select the proper form
- Complete and submit the form along with payment
Changing Your Registered Agent by Mail or In Person
To submit a Statement of Change of Registered Agent by mail or in person, first, download the form from the Rhode Island Secretary of State website and then fill it out. Rhode Island has different forms for different business structure types:
Submit the applicable form to:
Division of Business Services
148 W. River Street
Providence, RI 02904-2615
The cost to change your registered agent is $10 for nonprofits and $20 for all other entities. You can pay this fee by check, money order, or credit card (online filing only).
How much does it cost to change a registered agent in Rhode Island?
The main filing fee for changing a registered agent in Rhode Island is $20. This fee applies to most formal businesses, including corporations and LLCs. Nonprofits only need to pay $10.
Can I be my own registered agent in Rhode Island?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent. Per Rhode Island state law, a self-designated registered agent must maintain regular business hours at a physical Rhode Island street address, be 18 or older, and ensure that all legal documents are promptly received and properly handled.
Can I change registered agents online in Rhode Island?
Yes, it is possible to change registered agents online in Rhode Island. To change your Rhode Island agent online, submit the change using the Department of State’s online filing portal.