How to Name an Ecommerce Store
Ecommerce stores provide an opportunity for entrepreneurs to gain a foothold in the world of online retail. With minimal upfront costs, they can begin to build their customer base and scale up operations as quickly, or slowly, as they choose. From stocking inventory and setting up the front-end of their store to providing customer service and fulfilling orders, every day can be jam-packed with excitement.
We’ll explore some key tips and considerations for coming up with creative and effective ecommerce store names that are sure to resonate with customers and establish your company's unique identity.
Use our free business name generator above to discover an array of ecommerce store name ideas, or continue reading our quick guide to learn how to name your company.
TRUiC is a privacy-focused company. TRUiC's company name generator protects your personal information so that your searches remain private.
Step #1: Determine Goals for Your Ecommerce Store
Your business’s name is the very first connection you will make with prospective customers. It’s important that you define your organization’s mission, vision, values, and target audience as much as possible.
Before naming your venture, ensure that you fully understand exactly how you will run your company. Familiarize yourself with the industry and determine what it takes to start a successful business by conducting thorough research.
Here are a few factors to keep in mind when launching and naming an ecommerce store:
- An ecommerce store is a store on the internet where products are bought and sold. Examples of ecommerce stores are eBay, Shopify and Amazon.com.
- These businesses connect product-seekers with the items they need to improve lives, businesses, and organizations of all varieties.
- If you are looking for a way to provide people with goods and services, an ecommerce store might be the right business for you. These online stores are especially helpful for customers who can't find the goods they need at local stores.
- The target market is those who are looking for specific products that can be purchased and delivered in an affordable manner.
Step #2: Begin Brainstorming
We’ve shared some brainstorming techniques that you can use to get your creative juices flowing.
- Jot down some specific keywords for your ecommerce store business name. Here are a few examples:
- Online Shopping
- Digital Shopping
- Product Categories
- Inventory Management
- Shipping Services
- Think of adjectives that would describe your ecommerce store and the types of products offered to derive inspiration. Here are some examples:
- Experiment with other branding and brainstorming techniques.
Recommended: Once you have your name, create a logo with our free Logo Generator. To learn about other small business ideas, read our guide.
Ecommerce Store Business Name Ideas
We’ve used general brainstorming techniques to share several creative and catchy business name ideas for an ecommerce store.
Creative Approaches to Naming an Ecommerce Store
The following are helpful tips to help you find a unique business name that is relevant to you and/or your industry:
Capitalize on Business Location
The name of your city is one great way to brand your business. You can also think of nicknames that define what your city or state is well known for.
Connecting Through Emotion
Words that evoke a certain emotion, reminders of personal experiences, and travel memories may be good for branding.
Pun Fun, Word Combination, and Alliteration
Make brainstorming fun by creating puns, combining two relevant words and/or concepts, or by using same letter and sound repetition.
Short and Sweet
Oftentimes, simply using one word for a business name can be more powerful and engaging for clients/customers. Carefully consider your brand and brainstorm adjectives and synonyms that describe your business idea. For instance, if you own an ecommerce store, ask yourself how you would describe what you’re offering (e.g., clothes, antiques, furniture, technology, free shipping, etc.). Consider how you want your customers to feel (curious, excited about the products, thrilled, etc.), and so on.
Naming your business can be as easy as just using your own name. You can also incorporate names of friends and family members.
Step #3: Use Our Business Name Generator
Use our free business name generator tool by following the 3 simple steps: Search, select, and get the perfect domain name!
Filter results by location, industry, and domain name to produce more customized brand names for your venture.
Step #4: Register Your Ecommerce Store Business Name
Visit our business name search page to see if your desired brandable name is available in your state.
Steps After Naming Your Ecommerce Store
There are some steps you can take to successfully establish brand recognition and credibility for your venture.
- Choose a business structure. Formally structuring a business (e.g., LLC, corporation, etc.) reduces liability. We recommend checking out the Top LLC Formation Services.
- Design a logo for your ecommerce store. Creating a logo is vital for increasing brand awareness, and there are several logo maker tools available to help you design a unique one. Use our ecommerce store business logo generator to simplify the process.
- Make a website for your ecommerce store. Website builders like GoDaddy make the process simple and quick. Check out our Best Website Builder article.
- Use our QR Code Generator. Our QR code tool allows you to create virtual business cards (vCards), market your company, and share your new website with customers.