How Do I Change My Registered Agent in Tennessee?
You can change your registered agent by filing a Change of Registered Agent/Office form with the Tennessee Secretary of State.
To help you through the process, we’ve put together this easy-to-follow guide.
Another option is to have your new registered agent service process the change for you.
Recommended: Northwest ($125/year) will help you file your change of registered agent paperwork and pay the state filing fee.
Changing Tennessee Registered Agents
Whether you’re making a change of registered agent services, your agent resigns, or you want to be your own registered agent, you can follow the steps below to make the change.
Changing Your Registered Agent When Using a Professional Service
If you are hiring a new service, they will often file the necessary paperwork for you.
The benefits of using a professional service are:
- Less Risk: A professional registered agent in Tennessee will accept important legal documents or notifications on your behalf (e.g., service of process, etc.).
- More Flexibility: A service will always be present at the physical address on file to receive service of process during regular business hours so that you don’t have to be.
- Privacy: As a business owner, if you act as your own agent, your name and address will become a part of the public record. Using a service will help keep your information private. You’ll also avoid receiving lawsuit-related and other sensitive documents in front of your clients.
- Peace of mind: Using a service allows you to focus on running and growing your business. Many limited liability companies choose to use a service for this reason.
Let’s Find the Right Registered Agent for Your Business
We’ve tested and reviewed the most popular registered agent services.
Changing Your Registered Agent Online
You can complete and submit a change form online via the Tennessee Secretary of State website. The steps for this process include:
- Enter the Control Number for your company and click “Begin”
- Select “Change by Business Entity” and click “Continue”
- Complete and submit the form along with the payment
Changing Your Registered Agent by Mail or In Person
To submit a change form by mail or in person, first, download Form SS-4534 from the Tennessee Secretary of State website and then fill it out. You may also print out a form that’s pre-populated with some of your company information using the Secretary of State’s online tool.
Tennessee Secretary of State
ATTN: Corporate Filing
312 Rosa L. Parks Ave, 6th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243-1102
Tennessee Filing Fee
The current filing fee to change a Tennessee registered agent is $20. You can pay this fee by check, money order, or credit card (online filing only).
How much does it cost to change a registered agent in Tennessee?
It costs $20 to change your Tennessee registered agent when filing a Change of Registered Agent form with the Secretary of State.
Can I be my own registered agent in Tennessee?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Tennessee. You’ll need to be at least 18 and have a physical address in Tennessee, where you’ll be during normal business hours to collect service of process and assume legal responsibility.
Can I change registered agents online in Tennessee?
Yes, you can change your Tennessee registered agent online via the Tennessee Secretary of State’s website. You’ll complete and submit the form with your payment online.