Last Updated: June 6, 2024, 10:55 am by TRUiC Team

How Do I Change My Registered Agent in Washington?

To change your registered agent in Washington, you must file a Statement of Change/Designation of Registered Agent with the Washington Secretary of State.

To help you through the process, we’ve put together this easy-to-follow guide.

If you’re using a new registered agent service, most will file this information on your behalf.

Recommended: Northwest ($125/year) will help you file your change of registered agent paperwork and pay the state filing fee.

Couple meeting with registered agent, shaking hands.

Changing Washington Registered Agents

Whether you’re changing registered agent services, your agent has resigned, or you want to be your own agent, you can follow the steps below to make the change.

Changing Your Registered Agent When Using a Professional Service

If you are hiring a new service, they will file the necessary paperwork for you. 

The benefits of using a professional service are: 

  • Less Risk: A professional service will ensure that you don’t miss important legal documents or notifications (e.g., service of process, etc.).
  • More Flexibility: A service will always be present to receive service of process during normal business hours so that you don’t have to be.
  • Privacy: If you act as your own agent, your name and address will become public record. Using a service will help keep your information private. You’ll also avoid receiving lawsuit-related documents in front of your clients.
  • Peace of mind: Using a service allows you to focus on running and growing your business.
How to Start an LLC Tip Icon

Let’s Find the Right Registered Agent for Your Business

We’ve tested and reviewed the most popular registered agent services.

Changing Your Registered Agent Online

You can complete and submit a Statement of Change form online via the Washington Secretary of State’s Corporations and Charities Filing System. The steps for this process include:

  1. Log in to the website
  2. Under “Business Maintenance Filings,” select “Designation of Agent/Statement of Change”
  3. Search for and select your company
  4. Complete the form and indicate that your new agent has given you a consent statement
  5. Submit the form

Changing Your Registered Agent By Mail or In Person

To submit a Statement of Change form by mail or in person, first, download the form from the Washington Secretary of State website and then fill it out.

After your new agent signs their consent, submit the form to:

Washington Office of the Secretary of State
Corporations and Charities Division
801 Capitol Way S.
Olympia, WA 98504-0234

Annual Report Changes

If you’re close to the filing deadline for your business’s Washington annual report, you can use this filing to your advantage and also change your registered agent without needing to file additional paperwork. This is the simplest way to change your agent, but it must be done within the filing period.


There is no fee to change your Washington registered agent when filing a Statement of Change/Designation of Registered Agent with the Secretary of State.

Yes, you can be your own agent if you have a physical address in Washington, agree to accept service of process during normal business hours, and are 18 years of age or older.

Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Washington. As a registered agent, one must maintain a physical address within the state where legal documents and notices can be delivered during regular business hours. You must also be 18 or older to register.

Related Articles

Should You Use a Registered Agent Service

Can I be My Own Registered Agent

Best Washington Registered Agent Service

What is an LLC?

How to Form an LLC in Washington

Best LLC Formation Services in Washington