Thanks to AI-powered technology and the growing emergence of mobile apps, and VoIP, adding a business line to your cell phone has never been easier. This allows you to have two separate phone numbers on the same phone.
This can be very beneficial for business owners, as it can allow them to:
- Be more flexible
- Decrease their total costs
- Maintain their privacy
In this guide, we review how you can add a business line to your cell phone, the benefits of doing so, and the alternatives.
Benefits of Adding a Business Line on Your Cell Phone
Using a separate business phone number on your cell phone can provide you with several different advantages in comparison to a traditional business line.
- Professional image: Your customers (and potential partners) will appreciate receiving calls from a designated business line rather than from your personal phone number. This will make you look like a more serious and legitimate business.
- Increased mobility: As long as your cell phone is charged, you can run your business from anywhere, anytime
- Decreased cost: Adding a business line to your already existing cell phone is generally much cheaper than purchasing a new cell phone (to use for business use only) or a traditional business line.
- Increased convenience: While subjective, adding a business line on your already existing cell phone is generally much more convenient because it means you will not have to shuffle between different lines. One phone, two numbers. Nothing changes.
- Increased privacy: Since you will not need to rely on your personal phone number in order to make and receive calls, adding a business line on your cell phone will allow you to keep your personal phone number entirely private.
You will also be privy to exclusive features. These can vary depending on the app that you choose to work with, but generally include:
- Unlimited calling and text messaging
- Artificial intelligence-powered transcripts
- The ability to share contacts
- The ability to use the same business number with other members of your business
How Do I Add a Business Line to My Cell Phone?
Installing a business line on your personal phone can be done easily, quickly, and cheaply.
When adding a business line to your phone, follow these steps:
Find and Download a Cell Phone App
This will require a bit of research on your part, but it is very important. As every business owner will have different needs and wishes, you will want to have a look at the different features of different apps and pick the one that is best suited to your specific business model.
These can range significantly when it comes to price, so keep this in mind if you are a small business owner with a relatively small budget.
Keep in mind that most providers offer customers a “free trial” option, meaning business owners can try out what works best for them before fully committing.
Choose a Business Phone Number
Most providers offer business phone numbers in all area codes within the US and Canada.
You may have the option to pick between different types of business phone numbers (i.e., toll-free, vanity, and local).
These can offer different advantages and disadvantages. If you are interested in finding what type of business phone number is best for you, check out our How to Get a Business Phone Number guide. You can even check out our guide on How to Buy a Specific Phone Number.
Recommended: You may want to learn how to get a toll-free number for your business.
Choose Your Package
Like with most business services (e.g., business phone services, LLC formation services, etc.), you will have the option of choosing a package. These come in categories and will usually include “basic,” “standard,” and “premium” packages.
“Standard” options provide the most basic features that you will need and offer a more affordable price, which may be better suited for your business if you are just starting out and are running your business independently or with very few employees.
Recommended: Learn how to get your business phone number listed on Google.
Optimize Your Business Line
Each provider and plan will have distinct options that you will be able to use if you choose to do so.
Have a think about what extra features you need (or will need shortly in the future). For example, you may want to add extra employee members to your plan.
This can work in the following two ways:
- Your employees will be added to your contract and receive separate business phone numbers that they will use on their personal cell phones.
- Your employees will be added to your contract and receive the same business phone number as yourself, albeit with the ability to use it independently. This can be very convenient for your clients and customers, as they will only have to use one number.
Depending on your provider, you may also be able to add:
- A receptionist
- A professional voicemail service
- The ability to transfer inbound calls to other individuals
Do I Need a Business Line on My Cell Phone?
Adding a business line to your already existing cell phone can be very beneficial, but it may not be for everyone, as it does come with a few disadvantages.
For example, it fails to separate your professional and personal life in the same way that a second cell phone or a separate business line does. This can prove to be inconvenient and could lead to burnout.
Other factors that you will want to consider include:
- Business size: Is it sensible to pay for a business line on your budget?
- Practicality: Will you be using the extra features in your day-to-day operations?
- Call frequency: How often do you get work-related calls?
- Number of employees: If you have a high number of employees, you will likely need a business phone number to avoid requiring every single member of your team to rely on their personal cell phone.
- Support availability: Does your provider offer support or any type of reimbursement if you need assistance?
Understanding these guidelines will help you determine how much benefit you will receive from adding a business line to your cell phone.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get my business phone number listed on Google?
Yes, and it’s highly recommended. Getting your business phone number listed on Google is crucial because:
- Google is the most common way for consumers to find businesses
- It is completely free of charge
- It is very easy and quick to do
You will need to create a Google My Business account in order to optimize your online business profile.
Google additionally allows business owners to obtain a free website on their listing, which can be very beneficial if you are just starting out and do not have your own business website yet.
For more information, see our How Do I Get My Business Phone Number Listed on Google guide.
Do I need a separate cell phone to use a business phone number?
Not necessarily. Some business owners choose to purchase a second cell phone and use this as a business phone number. This can generally be done very fast and is very convenient in relation to separating one’s business and personal life.
Don’t want to take any more business calls? Simply turn your second cell phone off.
On the other hand, relying on a separate cell phone is generally more expensive than using a traditional business line or working with a business line provider. It also provides:
- Less privacy
- Less credibility
- Fewer financing opportunities
What is the most valuable business phone service?
The most valuable business phone service will be different for each business, as each one will have different needs depending on its size.
For a list of the top services, check out our review of the best business phone services.
What is a vanity business phone number?
A vanity business phone number is a phone number that contains certain words or phrases that make it more memorable.
These can relate to your business’s name or brand image. For example, the vanity phone number of a roofing business may be “1-800-ROOFING.”
Can I practice my phone etiquette?
Yes, phone etiquette is very important. This is because the way that you speak to potential customers or clients can play a pivotal part in whether they choose you over a competitor or not.
Like any skill, obtaining perfect phone etiquette requires practice and experience, but there are a few points that you should keep in mind.
- Maintaining a friendly tone
- Knowing the purpose of the call
- Sticking to the agreed time of the call
- Avoiding using slang
For more information, check out our Best Advice to Follow When Placing a Business Phone Call guide.