WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Game Developer Job Description
Below is our game developer job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Game Developer Job Description
XYZ Inc. is the leading game producer on the market today, striving daily to deliver fun and challenging new games to our dynamic audience. We seek a specialized game developer to join our expanding team. In this position, you will work in a fast-paced environment as a key player across all aspects of game creation—from concept to distribution. Ideal candidates have experience and a deep passion for all things gaming. If you possess the experience and wish to join the industry’s premier team, we want to meet you.
- Generate prototypes of gameplay ideas and features
- Create game storyboards, scripts, and character biographies
- Animate objects and characters, and design role-play mechanics
- Contribute to the audio features and design of your game projects
- Translate requirements into clean, efficient code
- Construct the engine on which your game projects will run
- Determine milestones and develop schedules
- Detect technical specifications
- Conduct design reviews
- Document the design process
- Assure consistent quality through unit tests and validation procedures
- Regularly test the game to maintain code and fix bugs or any ongoing issues
- Maintain a working knowledge of all industry trends and best practices
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, games technology, or another relevant field
- One or more years of proven experience in full-lifecycle game development
- Extensive knowledge of APIs and libraries
- Hands-on experience with programming languages
- Expert in one or more programming specialties (e.g., artificial intelligence, audio, multiplayer/networking, physics, 3D animation, or 3D rendering)
- Ability to present a portfolio of sample projects
- Passion and knowledge of the industry
- Ability to problem-solve effectively and creatively
- Extensive knowledge of gaming trends, best practices, and techniques
- Ability to work individually and as a team in a leadership role
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or suitable equivalent
- Ability to travel periodically
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.