WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Hair Salon General Manager Job Description
Below is our hair salon general manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Hair Salon General Manager Job Description
Our hair salon manager is in charge of meeting the needs of both employees and customers. They work with the administrative staff and stylists to schedule services, ensuring that all appointments are spaced properly so customers are able to meet with their stylist on time. Our salon manager will monitor the work of the stylists and handle customer disputes as necessary. They will also accept customer feedback and compile complaints and suggestions so they can be reviewed. Our managers need to be personable, flexible, and willing to pitch in during times of need. They will oversee all operations of the hair salon and work to meet our predetermined revenue goals. Salon managers may also be asked to conduct special training sessions, alerting staff to new techniques or salon protocol.
- Hiring, scheduling, and training employees
- Conducting special classes on new procedures
- Assisting with scheduling needs
- Handling customer disputes
- Monitoring inventory and ordering new supplies when needed
- Meeting revenue goals while ensuring customer satisfaction
- Helping administrative staff and stylists during busy periods
- Serving as a general authority in the salon
- Working with management to determine the salon’s direction
- Researching new salon technology and developments
- Working with the owner to draft a budget
- Keeping appropriate financial documentation
- Following all safety and regulatory employment laws
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 5 years of stylist technician experience
- At least 1 year of experience in a management position
- Extensive knowledge of the salon industry
- Ability to conduct training sessions
- Ability to motivate and inspire employees
- Formal stylist certification
- Excellent people skills
- Clear written and verbal communication
- Attention to detail
- High school diploma or equivalent
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a business-related field
- At least 5 years of experience as a salon general manager
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE