WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Network Engineer Job Description
Below is our network engineer job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Network Engineer Job Description
Our network engineer will design and implement all of our network solutions, constantly striving to evolve their strategies to keep our IT as competitive as possible. They’ll be in charge of configuring all of our equipment to ensure maximum productivity and security. As hacking techniques evolve, our network engineer needs to be aware of how to protect our systems from both common and uncommon threats. Our network engineer needs to be familiar with the technology that can help our company today while still accounting for changes of tomorrow. For example, if the business triples within five years, our systems will need to be flexible enough to implement new security measures, storage solutions, and network equipment.
- Installing and configuring network equipment
- Managing routers, accelerators, servers, and host protocol
- Establishing appropriate firewalls to maintain security
- Troubleshooting and monitoring the network to detect potential vulnerabilities
- Ensuring scheduled upgrades are completed on time
- Preparing status reports and delivering to key stakeholders
- Educating staff about how they can prevent a hack or data breach
- Ensuring that the network meets federal and state compliance guidelines
- Implementing new network solutions based on company objectives
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 3 years of experience in IT management
- Ability to conduct standard tests
- Thorough understanding of modern network solutions
- Passion for emerging technology
- Strong analytical mind
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to explain high-level technical concepts to company leaders
- Experience drafting and following network processes
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in CS-related field
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE