WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Sports Medicine Physician Job Description
Below is our sports medicine physician job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Sports Medicine Physician Job Description
We are currently searching for an experienced and licensed candidate for the position of Sports Medicine Physician. Our ideal candidate will exhibit great anatomical and musculoskeletal knowledge, be attuned to the needs of patients in recovery, and be able to use creative problem solving to help patients in all aspects of recovery, both physical and mental. As much as we are helping patients recover the full use of their bodies, we are also looking to make sure they remain mentally sound in their recovery process. Accordingly, the ideal candidate will be able to assess patients’ needs through listening and counseling.
- Diagnosing, treating, and monitoring patient progress throughout the recovery process
- Providing necessary physiological and mental/emotional support and training to help patients through a complete recovery process
- Outlining training regimens and providing realistic timelines for recovery
- Communicating with patients regularly
- Taking detailed notes for patient files
- Assisting in providing nutritional guidance to ensure that patients’ bodies are operating at optimal levels
- Accessing prior medical records and highlighting recurring injuries or areas prone to injury and methods to reduce regression of treatment
- Prescribing training techniques and strategies to last beyond the initial recovery period
- Planning and coordinating with the recovery team to provide patients with complete recovery plans
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Prior experience and success as a sports medicine trainer and/or physician
- Detailed understanding of human physiology and potential areas prone to injuries in particular sports
- Ability to diagnose and treat various forms of physiological injuries
- Strong interpersonal skills and adeptness at coaching and/or motivating individuals through personal goals
- Experience using computers and software programs to take patient notes and communicate with patients
- Experience with providing patients realistic recovery timelines with great attention to detail
- Degree in medicine, with a specific focus on sports medicine
- 3+ years of experience working in a patient recovery position
- Certified, insured, and licensed to practice medicine in our region
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Prior experience working as a Sports Medicine Physician, with exemplary results
- Ability to work nights and weekends and travel for conferences, seminars, or training opportunities
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE