How Much Does It Cost to Start an LLC in Montana?

The cost to start an LLC (limited liability company) online in Montana is $35. This fee is paid to the Montana Secretary of State when filing the LLC’s Articles of Organization.

Use our free Form an LLC in Montana guide to do it yourself.

Or simply use a professional service:

four point six out of five Northwest ($29 + State Fees)

How Much Does an LLC Cost in Montana?

Montana LLC Online Filing Fee: $35

The main cost to start an LLC is the $35 fee to file your LLC's Articles of Organization online with the Montana Secretary of State.

For a look at LLC costs in every state, read our other Cost to Start an LLC and How to Form an LLC guides.

Montana Annual Report Fee: $20

Montana requires LLCs to file an annual report with the Secretary of State.

You can submit this form through the Montana Secretary of State website. It is due on April 15. Montana charges a $15 penalty for failure to file on time.

Registered Agent Fee

In Montana you can be your own registered agent, but using a registered agent service helps keep your company in compliance and reminds you of important filing deadlines and avoid late fees.


Read our guide to learn more about Montana Registered Agents. You can also read our full guide on the best registered agent services.

Cost to Form a Foreign LLC in Montana

If you already have an LLC that is registered in another state and you’d like to expand your business into Montana, you’ll need to register your LLC as a foreign LLC in Montana.

The cost for registering a Montana foreign LLC is $70. You can register a foreign LLC in Montana by filling out the online registration.

Business Permits and Licenses

Depending on your industry and geographical location, your business might need federal, state, and local permits/licenses to legally operate in Montana. This is true whether you form an LLC or any other type of business structure.

Learn more about state and local licensing with our guide to getting a Montana business license.

Other LLC Filing Costs

There are optional fees associated with LLC formation:

LLC Name Reservation:
Reserve your name for up to 120 days prior to LLC formation by filing a Reservation of Name form and paying the $10 filing fee.

Foreign LLC Name Registration:
If a foreign LLC wants to register an entity name but not transact business in Montana, they can file a Registration of Foreign Business Name online for $10.

“Doing Business As” (DBA) Name:
File a Registration of Assumed Business Name and pay the $20 filing fee to create a name other than your legal LLC business name.

Certified Document Copies:
Obtain certified copies of your Montana business documents by ordering through the Secretary of State and paying $10.

Certificate of Existence:
Also known as a Montana certificate of good standing, you can obtain this document by ordering through the Secretary of State and paying the $5 fee. A certificate of existence is often required by banks and lending institutions.

How to Register a Montana LLC Yourself

Forming an LLC yourself is easy; just follow the five steps below.

Recommended: If you already have a business that is running as a sole proprietorship, visit our How to Change from a Sole Proprietorship to LLC page.

Five Basic Steps to Start an LLC in Montana

Step 1: Name Your Montana LLC
Step 2: Choose a Registered Agent
Step 3: File the Articles of Organization
Step 4: Create an Operating Agreement
Step 5: Get an EIN

Step 1: Name Your Montana LLC

When you name your Montana LLC, you’ll need to choose a name that:

  1. Is available for use in the state of Montana
  2. Meets Montana naming requirements
  3. Is available as a web domain

Recommended: Visit our Start an LLC in Montana guide for detailed naming rules and instructions for registering a business name in Montana.

Not sure what to name your business? Check out our How to Name a Business guide and free LLC Name Generator.

We recommend that you check online to see if your business name is available as a web domain. Even if you don't plan to create a business website today, you may want to buy the URL in order to prevent others from acquiring it.

Find a Domain Now

Step 2: Choose a Registered Agent

All LLCs in Montana must appoint a registered agent. A registered agent primarily acts as your LLC’s main point of contact with the state. But most importantly, they are responsible for accepting service of process in the event your business is sued.

Your Montana registered agent must:

  • Be at least 18 years or older
  • Have a physical address in Montana
  • Be available during normal business hours to accept service of process
The Truic Flame Logo

Recommended: Get a free year of registered agent services when you hire Northwest to form your LLC. $29 (plus state fees).

Get Started

Step 3: File the Articles of Organization

The Montana Articles of Organization is a document that is filed with the Minnesota Secretary of State to form an LLC. The fee for filing the Articles of Organization is $35 online.

For detailed instructions for completing the Articles of Organization, visit our How to File the Montana Articles of Organization guide.

File the Montana Articles of Organization

File Online With the Montana Secretary of State

File Online

State Filing Cost: $35, payable to the Secretary of State

Step 4: Create an Operating Agreement

An operating agreement isn't required for Montana LLCs, but it's a good practice to have one.

What is an operating agreement? An operating agreement is a legal document outlining the ownership and operating procedures of an LLC.

Why are operating agreements important? A comprehensive operating agreement ensures that all business owners are on the same page and reduces the risk of future conflict.

For more information on operating agreements, read our Montana LLC operating agreement guide.

Step 5: Get an EIN

What is an EIN? An EIN or Employer Identification Number is a nine-digit number issued by the Internal Revenue System (IRS) to identify a business for tax reporting purposes. An EIN is essentially a Social Security number (SSN) for your company.

Why do I need an EIN? An EIN number is required for the following:

The Truic Flame Logo

Free EIN: You can get an EIN from the IRS website (free of charge) after forming your business.

Montana LLC Cost FAQ

Do you have to pay for a Montana LLC every year?

Yes, Montana LLCs have to pay a $20 annual report fee every year. Visit our Montana LLC annual report guide for more information.

Is an LLC really necessary?

An LLC provides limited liability protection. This means an LLC protects your personal assets in the event of a business loss, such as a lawsuit or unpaid debt.

We recommend any small business that carries even the smallest amount of risk or liability to form an LLC. Learn more in our Should I Start an LLC guide.

What is the cheapest way to get an LLC?

You can save money on getting an LLC by completing the formation process yourself, making your own operating agreement, being your own Agent for Service of Process, and getting your own EIN.

Check out our How to Save Money Forming Your LLC guide to learn more.

Can I pay myself a salary from my LLC?

You can pay yourself a salary from your LLC, but it would be called a draw or distribution if your LLC is taxed in the default way by the IRS.

Visit our How to Pay Yourself from an LLC guide to learn more.

Is an S corp better than an LLC?

An S corporation (S corp) is an IRS tax status, not a type of business entity. An LLC can be taxed in the default way or as an S corp. For some businesses, being taxed as an S corp can make lots of sense.

Check out our LLC vs. S corp guide to find out if S corp status is right for your business.

What’s better: sole proprietorship or LLC?

A sole proprietorship is only good for businesses that carry very low risk of liability because sole proprietorships don’t offer any liability protection.

Learn more in our sole proprietorship vs. LLC guide.

More Montana Small Business Resources

Article Sources

Montana Department of Revenue:

IRS - Employer ID Numbers:

Montana Secretary of State:

SBA - Apply for licenses and permits:

Chamber of Commerce - Montana Chamber of Commerce List: