How Do I Change My Registered Agent in Georgia?
The process to change your Georgia registered agent is simple – you’ll just need to file an Amended Annual Registration with the Georgia Secretary of State’s Corporations Division.
This article will help you complete the change yourself.
Alternatively, your new registered agent may offer this as part of their services.
Recommended: Northwest ($125/year) will help you file your change of registered agent paperwork and pay the state filing fee.
Changing Georgia Registered Agents
Whether you’re changing registered agent services, your own registered agent has resigned, or you want to be your own agent, you can follow the steps below to make the change.
Changing Your Registered Agent When Using a Professional Service
If you are hiring a new registered agent service, they will file the necessary paperwork for you.
The benefits of using a professional registered agent service are:
- Less Risk: A professional service will ensure that limited liability companies and other business entities don't miss important legal documents or notifications (e.g., service of process, etc.).
- More Flexibility: A service will always be present to receive service of process during normal business hours so that you don’t have to be.
- Privacy: If you act as your own agent, your name and address will become public record. Using one of these services helps to keep your information private by serving as your registered office address. You’ll also avoid receiving lawsuit-related documents in front of your clients.
- Peace of Mind: Using a service allows you to focus on running and growing your business.
Let’s Find the Right Registered Agent for Your Business
We’ve tested and reviewed the most popular registered agent services.
Changing Your Registered Agent Online
You can complete and submit an Amended Annual Registration, along with the $20 payment, via the Georgia Corporations Division website. The steps for this process include:
- Log in to your Georgia eCorp online account through the Georgia Corporations Division website
- Select “File Annual Registration”
- Search for and select your business and complete the form, including payment information
You can pay the fee by credit card.
Changing Your Registered Agent by Mail
To submit an Amended Annual Registration by mail, first download the form from the Georgia Division of Corporations website and then fill it out. There are different forms for different types of business structures:
- Limited Liability Company (LLC) - Form CD 920
- Corporation - Form CD 900
- Limited Partnership (LP) or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) - Form CD 910
Note that you must have already filed an Annual Registration form for the current filing period before filing an Amended Annual Registration by mail.
Mail the completed form, along with payment, to:
2 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. SE
Suite 313, West Tower
Atlanta, GA 30334
The fee for mail-in filings is $30.
You can pay this fee by check or money order.
How much does it cost to change a registered agent in Georgia?
It costs $20 to change your Georgia registered agent when filing an Amended Annual Registration online with the Division of Corporations and $30 by mail.
Can I be my own registered agent in Georgia?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Georgia so long as you are 18 or older, have a physical address in Georgia, and are able to accept service of process daily at that address.
Can I change registered agents online in Georgia?
Yes, you can change your Georgia registered agent online by submitting an Amended Annual Registration through the Georgia Corporations Division website.