Changing your registered agent in Missouri requires filling out a Statement of Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office form. You’ll file this with the Missouri Secretary of State.
We’ve outlined the steps to change your Missouri registered agent below.
If you’re using a new registered agent service, most will file this information on your behalf.
Recommended: Northwest ($125/year) will help you file your change of registered agent paperwork and pay the state filing fee for your Missouri business.
Changing Missouri Registered Agents
As a Missouri business owner, whether you’re choosing a new registered agent, your same registered agent has resigned, or you want to be your own agent, you can follow the steps below to make the change.
Changing Your Registered Agent When Using a Professional Service
If you are hiring a new Missouri registered agent, the services may include filing online the necessary paperwork for you.
The benefits of using a professional service are:
- Less Risk: A trustworthy registered agent will ensure that you don’t miss important legal documents or notifications (e.g., service of process, etc.).
- More Flexibility: A service will always be present to receive service of process during normal business hours so that you don’t have to be. Most limited liability companies find this very appealing.
- Privacy: If you act as your own agent, your name and address will become public record. Using a service will help keep your information private; all documents will go to your registered office address. You’ll also avoid receiving lawsuit-related documents in front of your clients.
- Peace of mind: Using a service allows you to focus on running and growing your business.
Let’s Find the Right Registered Agent for Your Business
We’ve tested and reviewed the most popular registered agent services.
Changing Your Registered Agent Online
You can complete and submit a Statement of Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office online via the Missouri Secretary of State website. The steps for this process include:
- Log in to the website
- Select “Update a Company”
- Select “Statement of Change of Registered Agent or Registered Office” for your limited liability company
- Upload your new agent’s consent statement
- Complete and submit the form along with the $10 payment
Changing Your Registered Agent by Mail or In Person
To change your registered agent by mail, download Form Corp. 59 from the Missouri Secretary of State website and then fill it out.
Changing Your Agent by Mail
After your new agent signs their consent on the form or provides a written consent statement, mail the form to the address below:
Missouri Secretary of State
P.O. Box 778
Jefferson City, MO 65102
Changing Your Agent In Person
After your new agent signs their consent on the form or provides a written consent statement, turn it in in person at the local contact below:
600 W. Main St., Room 322
Jefferson City, MO 65102
How much does it cost to change your registered agent in Missouri?
It costs $10 to change your Missouri registered agent when filing a change form with the Secretary of State.
Can I be my own registered agent in Missouri?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Missouri; however, you’ll need to be 18 or older, plus have a physical Missouri address, and be willing to commit to being at that address to receive service of process during business hours.
Can I change registered agents online in Missouri?
Yes, you can change your Missouri registered agent online. You must log in to the Missouri Secretary of State website, select “update a company,” and follow all instructions carefully.