How to Dissolve an LLC in Iowa
If you no longer wish to conduct business with your LLC, it is important to officially dissolve it. Failure to do so in a timely fashion can result in tax liabilities and penalties, or even legal trouble.
To dissolve an LLC in Iowa, simply follow these three steps:
Step 1: Follow Your Iowa LLC Operating Agreement
- Holding a vote with LLC members to dissolve the LLC
- Recording the dissolution vote in the LLC’s meeting minutes
- Determining the formal date of dissolution
- Distribution of LLC assets
- Notifying creditors and settling any business debts
If your LLC does not have any set dissolution procedures in its operating agreement, you should consult the state for further instruction.
Step 2: Close Your Business Tax Accounts
Every active Iowa LLC has various tax accounts that are maintained by different departments within the Iowa State government. Before you can dissolve your LLC, you must first pay off all taxes and/or fines owed to these accounts.
Here are some of the common taxes your LLC may owe:
- If you have or have had employees in Iowa:
- Unemployment Insurance Tax
- Employee Withholding Tax
- If your LLC sells or has sold taxable goods or services in Iowa:
- Sales & Use Tax
Closing your tax accounts usually involves simply filing a final return to the appropriate agency. However, some accounts require submitting other official paperwork. If you need assistance in closing your tax accounts, it may be helpful to hire a Certified Public Accountant.
NOTE: None of your LLC's tax accounts can be closed if they have a remaining balance. All taxes, penalties, fees, and interest must be paid in full before you can dissolve your LLC.
Step 3: File Articles of Dissolution
Articles of Dissolution, known in Iowa as Statement of Dissolution, are the forms that you file to voluntarily dissolve your LLC. Once this document has been filed and processed, your LLC will no longer legally exist.
The State of Iowa does not provide a sample Statement of Dissolution form. They do, however, provide instructions for writing the Statement of Dissolution on their website.
Iowa requires business owners to submit their Statement of Dissolution by mail or online.
File the Iowa LLC Statement of Dissolution
OPTION 1: File by mailRead Instructions
- OR -
OPTION 2: File onlineFile Online
Filing Fee: $5
Secretary of State
Business Services Division
Lucas Building, 1st Floor
Des Moines, Iowa 50319
You can also have a professional service provider file your Articles of Dissolution for you. Bizee (formerly Incfile) prepares the Articles of Dissolution for you, and files them to the state for $149 + State Fees.
Other Iowa LLC Resources
- Best LLC Services
- How to Start an LLC in Iowa
- Iowa LLC Operating Agreement
- Iowa LLC Biennial Report
- How to Start a Business in Iowa
- How to File an Iowa LLC Certificate of Organization
- How to Register a Business Name in Iowa
- Certificate of Good Standing Iowa
- How to Start a Corporation in Iowa
- How to Start a Nonprofit in Iowa
- How To Name a Business In Iowa
- How to Get a DBA in Iowa
- Iowa LLC Name Search