Step 1: Create a Google Analytics Account
Before you can add Google Analytics to your Weebly website, you must create a Google Analytics account.
To create a Google Analytics account:
- Visit the Google Analytics website.
- Sign in with your Gmail email address if you have one or create one if you don’t, and then click on the “Start measuring” button.
- In the “Account name” field, enter an account name (usually just the name of your business).
- Decide what data you want to share with Google, and then click on the “Next” button.
- You’ll then arrive on a “Property details” screen. Your property name is the name of your website (often the same name as your business). In the “Property name” field, enter your property name, select your time zone and local currency, and then click on the “Next” button.
- You’ll then arrive on a “Business information” screen. Select your “Industry category” and “Business size.” Also check the appropriate boxes under “How do you intend to use Google Analytics with your business?” and then click the “Create” button.
- Decide what email you want to receive regarding Google Analytics, check the appropriate boxes, and then click the “Save” button.
- Under “Set up a data stream to start collecting data,” click on the “Web” button.
- Under “Website URL,” enter your website’s address (skip the “https” at the beginning). Under “Stream name,” enter the name of your website. Leave “Enhanced Measurement” turned on and click on the “Create stream” button.
- You can close the blue “Measurement ID” box by clicking the “X” in the upper-right corner of the box. Under “Tagging Instructions,” click on “Global site tag (gtag.js).”
- Click on the copy icon (shown below) to copy the text for the “global site tag.”
Want to learn how to use Google Analytics? Take this online course created by Google.
Step 2: Add Google Analytics to Weebly
Now that you have a Google Analytics account and copied the text for the “global site tag,” it’s time to add this information to your Weebly website.
To connect your Google Analytics account to your Weebly website:
- Go to Weebly and log in.
- From the dashboard, click on the “Edit site” button.
- Click on the “Settings” tab, and then click on the “SEO” option in the menu on the left. Scroll down to the “Header Code” section and paste in your copied “global site tag” text.
- Click on the “Save” button, and then on the “Publish” button.
Congratulations! You’ve connected your Google Analytics account to your Weebly website. But, you might have to wait 24 to 48 hours for the data to start showing up in your Google Analytics account.
Step 3: Confirm the Connection To Weebly
Finally, you should make sure you connected your Google Analytics account to your Weebly website correctly.
To confirm the connection:
- Open your Weebly website (not in the Weebly editor, but the actual site in a browser).
- In a new tab, go to the Google Analytics website and log into your account.
- Click on the “Realtime” option in the menu on the left.
Because you’re currently visiting your website in another tab, the number “1” should appear under “Users in the last 30 minutes.”
Google Analytics mentions that traffic may take up to 24 hours to appear in the Google Analytics dashboard. If your website still doesn’t show any traffic after 24 hours, repeat the steps in this article to ensure you were successful in adding Google Analytics to Weebly.
Don't have a Weebly website yet?
Weebly is an affordable platform for most any small business owner looking to get started building a professional website. See what Weebly can do for you, get started for free by clicking the button below.