How to Dissolve an LLC in Nevada
If you no longer wish to conduct business with your LLC, it is important to officially dissolve it. Failure to do so in a timely fashion can result in tax liabilities and penalties, or even legal trouble.
To dissolve an LLC in Nevada, simply follow these three steps:
Step 1: Follow Your Nevada LLC Operating Agreement
- Holding a vote with LLC members to dissolve the LLC
- Recording the dissolution vote in the LLC’s meeting minutes
- Determining the formal date of dissolution
- Distribution of LLC assets
- Notifying creditors and settling any business debts
If your LLC does not have any set dissolution procedures in its operating agreement, you should consult the state for further instruction.
Step 2: Close Your Business Tax Accounts
Every active Nevada LLC has various tax accounts that are maintained by different departments within the Nevada State government. Before you can dissolve your LLC, you must first pay off all taxes and/or fines owed to these accounts.
Here are some of the common taxes your LLC may owe:
- If you have or have had employees in Nevada:
- Unemployment Insurance Tax
- Employee Withholding Tax
- If your LLC sells or has sold taxable goods or services in Nevada:
- Sales & Use Tax
Closing your tax accounts usually involves simply filing a final return to the appropriate agency. However, some accounts require submitting other official paperwork. If you need assistance in closing your tax accounts, it may be helpful to hire a Certified Public Accountant.
NOTE: None of your LLC's tax accounts can be closed if they have a remaining balance. All taxes, penalties, fees, and interest must be paid in full before you can dissolve your LLC.
Step 3: File Articles of Dissolution
Articles of Dissolution, known in Nevada as Certificate of Dissolution/Cancellation, are the forms that you file to voluntarily dissolve your LLC. Once this document has been filed and processed, your LLC will no longer legally exist.
Nevada requires business owners to submit their Certificate of Dissolution/Cancellation by mail, online, fax, email, or in-person].
File the Nevada LLC Articles of Dissolution
Option 1: File By Mail or In PersonDownload Form
- OR -
Option 2: File OnlineFile Online
Fax: (775) 684-5725
Secretary of State
202 North Carson Street
Carson City, Nevada 89701-4201
You can also have a professional service provider file your Articles of Dissolution for you. Bizee (formerly Incfile) prepares the Articles of Dissolution for you, and files them to the state for $149 + State Fees.
Other Nevada LLC Resources
- Best LLC Services
- How to Start an LLC in Nevada
- Nevada LLC Operating Agreement
- Nevada LLC Annual List
- How to Start a Business in Nevada
- Nevada Articles of Organization
- How to Register a Business Name in Nevada
- Certificate of Good Standing Nevada
- How to Start a Corporation in Nevada
- How to Start a Nonprofit in Nevada
- How to Name a Business in Nevada
- How to Get a DBA in Nevada
- Nevada LLC Name Search