Do I Need Professional Liability Insurance?
If your company provides professional services to a high volume of customers, professional indemnity insurance is an important and valuable investment. A PII policy will cover any errors and omissions in your work that may cause non-bodily harm to your clients. While general liability insurance can cover you in the event of physical injury or property damage to others, it will not protect you against claims of malpractice or error which result in financial loss for your clients.
Examples of companies that need professional liability insurance:
- Accounting, Legal and Medical Practices
- Tech Support, Technology Repair and Web Design
- Auto Repair, Property Maintenance and Construction
- Business Consultants, Financial Advisors and Investment Experts
- Software Development, Engineering and Internet Technology
- Information and Educational Companies
What Should I Look for in Professional Liability Insurance?
When shopping for professional liability insurance, you should look for a policy that includes these five things:
- Coverage that includes legal defense costs (including court costs) for any judgments against you or your business
- Coverage for all your business’ W2 employees and 1099 subcontractors
- Personal injury coverage to protect against against claims of libel, slander and invasion of privacy
- Coverage for allegations of copyright infringement and intellectual property infringement
- Worldwide coverage from suits brought into the United States from other countries
Ready to purchase an insurance policy? Get an instant quote from Hiscox, our recommended insurance provider: