Do I Need Professional Liability Insurance?
If your company provides professional services to a high volume of customers, PI insurance is an essential investment. A PI policy will cover any errors in your work in the case that they cause non-bodily harm to your clients (such as financial loss). While general liability insurance covers you in the event of physical injury or property damage, it does not protect against claims of professional malpractice or error.
Examples of companies that need professional liability insurance:
- Accounting, Legal and Medical Practices
- Tech Support, Technology Repair and Web Design
- Auto Repair, Property Maintenance and Construction
- Business Consultants, Financial Advisors and Investment Experts
- Software Development, Engineering and Internet Technology
- Information and Educational Companies
What Should I Look for in Professional Liability Insurance?
When shopping for professional liability insurance, look for a policy that includes coverage for:
- Legal defense costs for any judgments against you or your business
- Claims of libel, slander and invasion of privacy
- Allegations of copyright/intellectual property infringement
- International lawsuits (those brought into the U.S. from other countries)
- All your business’ W2 employees and 1099 subcontractors
Ready to purchase an insurance policy? Get an instant quote from Hiscox, our recommended insurance provider: