How to Dissolve an LLC in Washington
If you no longer wish to conduct business with your LLC, it is important to officially dissolve it. Failure to do so in a timely fashion can result in tax liabilities and penalties, or even legal trouble.
To dissolve an LLC in Washington, simply follow these three steps:
Step 1: Follow Your Washington LLC Operating Agreement
- Holding a vote with LLC members to dissolve the LLC
- Recording the dissolution vote in the LLC’s meeting minutes
- Determining the formal date of dissolution
- Distribution of LLC assets
- Notifying creditors and settling any business debts
If your LLC does not have any set dissolution procedures in its operating agreement, you should consult the state for further instruction.
Step 2: Close Your Business Tax Accounts
Every active Washington LLC has various tax accounts that are maintained by different departments within the Washington State government. Before you can dissolve your LLC, you must first pay off all taxes and/or fines owed to these accounts.
Here are some of the common taxes your LLC may owe:
- Washington Business Occupation Tax
- If you have or have had employees in Washington:
- Unemployment Insurance Tax
- If your LLC sells or has sold taxable goods or services in Washington:
- Sales & Use Tax
Closing your tax accounts usually involves simply filing a final return to the appropriate agency. However, some accounts require submitting other official paperwork. If you need assistance in closing your tax accounts, it may be helpful to hire a Certified Public Accountant.
NOTE: None of your LLC's tax accounts can be closed if they have a remaining balance. All taxes, penalties, fees, and interest must be paid in full before you can dissolve your LLC.
Step 3: File Articles of Dissolution
Articles of Dissolution, known in Washington as Certificate of Dissolution, are the forms that you file to voluntarily dissolve your LLC. Once this document has been filed and processed, your LLC will no longer legally exist.
Washington requires business owners to submit their Certificate of Dissolution by mail, online, or in person.
File the Washington LLC Certificate of Dissolution
OPTION 1: File by mail or in personDownload Form
- OR -
OPTION 2: File onlineFile Online
Filing Fee: $20 online, $0 for hard copy
Secretary of State Corporation Division
801 Capitol Way S
PO Box 40234
Olympia WA 98504-0234
You can also have a professional service provider file your Articles of Dissolution for you. Bizee (formerly Incfile) prepares the Articles of Dissolution for you, and files them to the state for $149 + State Fees.
Other Washington LLC Resources
- Best LLC Services
- How to Start an LLC in Washington
- Washington LLC Operating Agreement
- Washington Annual Report
- How to Start a Business in Washington
- Washington Certificate of Formation
- How to Register a Business Name in Washington
- Certificate of Good Standing Washington
- How to Start a Corporation in Washington
- How to Start a Nonprofit in Washington
- How to Name a Business in Washington
- How to Get a DBA in Washington
- Washington LLC Name Search