How to Name Your Corporation
Coming up with a name for your corporation can be challenging. Our free Corporation Name Generator will help you create a name for your business that is available in your state and available as an internet domain name.
Steps for Using the Corporation Name Generator:
- Brainstorm business names
- Enter the names into the Corporation Name Generator Search Bar
- Select your favorite name, then follow the instructions to secure your domain and business name
Corporation Naming Guidelines
Your corporation’s name must follow specific guidelines. These guidelines can vary by state, but generally include:
- Your name must contain the word “corporation,” “company,” “incorporated,” “limited” or an abbreviation of one of these terms.
- Your name must be distinguishable from any existing business in your state.
- Your name cannot use the words “bank,” “trust,” “trustee,” “credit union,” or related words without approval.
- Your name cannot include words that could confuse your corporation with a government agency (FBI, Treasury, State Department, etc.).
All states have different restrictions and guidelines when it comes to naming your corporation. Find your state’s guidelines on our How To Name a Business page.
Legal Name vs Brand Name
A business’s legal name doesn’t always have to match the brand name. For example, your corporation might be named, “Johnson Ventures, Inc.”, while your brand name is, “Roofing Plus”. Normally, this is done by getting a DBA (Doing Business As) name.
When using a DBA, you would set up your naming structure like this:
- Corporation Name: Johnson Ventures, Inc.
- DBA Name (Brand Name): Roofing Plus
- Domain Name: roofingplus.com
To learn more about getting a DBA in your state, check out our What is a DBA guide and select your state.
After Naming Your Corporation
Once you have a name picked out for your corporation, you will want to do two things: purchase your domain and register your corporation.
Purchase a Domain Name
Securing the matching domain for your business name is the obvious next step after deciding on your corporation’s name.
Even if you aren’t ready to build your website yet, you should secure your domain name right away because:
- It’s inexpensive to register your domain
- Registering your domain will protect it from being grabbed by someone else
- You can control the domain and build a website later
- The domain allows you to have a personalized email address (Susan@YourBusinessName.com)
Purchasing a domain name is easy. Just type your name into the corporation name generator search bar, click generate, and follow the steps.
Start Your Corporation
There are two ways to start a corporation: you can form a corporation yourself, or you can hire a professional service to do it for you.
Once your corporation application is approved, your business name will be legally registered with the state.
Corporations are complex to run and they face double taxation. Most small businesses choose to form an LLC unless they need funding from outside investors.
Recommended: Read our guide to learn more about the differences between LLCs and corporations.
The Corporation Name Generator is an extension of TRUiC's Business Name Generator.
Branding Your Business
The strongest businesses are built on a solid brand. When developing your brand, think about what your business stands for. Customers and clients are looking for companies that have a compelling brand, as much as they are shopping for high-quality products and services.
Creating a logo for your business is vital for increasing brand awareness. You can design your own unique logo using our Free Logo Generator.