WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Busser Job Description
Below is our busser job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Busser Job Description
Our restaurant’s bussers keep our establishment clean and ready to serve our customers. Bussers are responsible for promptly clearing tables when diners are finished and working with dishwashers to make sure the necessary tableware is always clean an available. As a restaurant that serves hundreds of meals during our peak hours, we need bussers who are able to keep up in a fast-paced and hectic environment. For those who are qualified, we offer flexible hours and opportunities to advance.
- Promptly clear and clean tables when diners finish their meals
- Assist with washing dishes if kitchen staff falls behind
- Rearrange tables as necessary for large groups
- Make sure the specials signage accurately reflects the day’s offerings
- Help waitstaff meet diners’ requests when possible
- Attend to basic and deep cleaning tasks
- Maintain a pleasant and welcoming demeanor at all times
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of one year of experience in food service
- Committed to providing excellent customer service
- Willing to help fellow team members
- Good verbal communication skills
- Ability to keep up in a fast-paced and chaotic work environment
- Ability to lift 15 pounds unassisted and remain on your feet for an entire shift
- Evening and/or weekend availability
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of two years of experience working in a busy sit-down restaurant
- Full-time availability
- Willingness to work major holidays
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE