WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Career Counselor Job Description
Below is our career counselor job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Career Counselor Job Description
Our organization is seeking a professional, knowledgeable candidate to fill a career counselor position. Our career counselors are outgoing and proactive. They emphasize personal attention in their approach to helping students and professionals who are either entering the workforce or looking for a career change. You will effectively speak with various job seekers and develop plans of action to make their dreams reality. By enhancing our clients’ career acquisition skills, you will be making a positive difference in the lives of aspiring professionals, allowing them to successfully navigate the job market landscape.
- Counsel students on the various aspects of job searches and hiring practices
- Develop information on how to write resumes, answer interview questions, and develop a professional persona for your intended job field
- Conduct one-on-one or group meetings/seminars to prepare individuals for the future of the job market
- Evaluate individual strengths, areas for improvement, and overall skill level to determine the best possible job opportunities
- Create paths to additional resources for the near and distant future
- Work with teachers and school staff to develop consistent academic language and student channels for success
Necessary Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience working with students and job applicants to develop career-level skills
- Able to communicate at a high level, comfortable speaking with individuals and crowds alike
- Adept at using web services and social media as communicative platforms
- Updated knowledge of multiple job markets
- Consistency and attention to detail
- Professional demeanor and appearance
- BA/MA in Communications, Education, or related fields
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Varied prior job experience
- Ability to travel or work weekends
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE