WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Chief Investment Officer Job Description
Below is our chief investment officer job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Chief Investment Officer Job Description
Our Chief Investment Officer (CIO) is in charge of managing company assets. They’re expected to develop an investment strategy that is as diverse as it is effective. They’ll mitigate the total risk of each allocation to ensure the stability of our financial future. We look to our CIO to uncover new investment opportunities that may have gone under the radar. They’re expected to review and adjust company pensions and other employee benefits as needed. We need the CIO to have excellent financial intuition coupled with strategic thinking and subject matter expertise.
- Overseeing and evaluating total cash flow
- Determining which resources should be invested
- Evaluating a variety of investment options
- Identifying lucrative opportunities and allocating funds accordingly
- Working with the executive team to identify investment expectations
- Suggesting new strategies and advising of risks and rewards
- Ensuring company compliance with all relevant investment and financial regulations
- Staying abreast of economic events that may affect company portfolio
- Collaborating with outside partners as needed (money managers, analysts, etc.)
- Managing pensions and other company-wide benefits
- Generating regular financial reports and portfolio evaluations
- Reviewing financial statements for additional insight
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 7 years of experience in a related role
- Strong leadership and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work with executives to determine the best investment path
- Proven investment success
- Outstanding negotiation and communication skills
- Strong understanding of relevant ethical and legal practices
- Tech-savvy, ability to use common investment software
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or a related field
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in a related field
- PMP certification or formal project management training
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE