WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Computer Programmer Job Description
Below is our computer programmer job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Computer Programmer Job Description
As a leading software company, we are continuously striving to deliver high-quality, innovative solutions to our business clients. We are looking to fill a computer programmer position and are seeking a talented and driven individual who is able to create functional and secure code. Your knowledge must encompass simple applications as well as complex operating systems and information. The ideal candidate will not only possess the experience, but also a true passion for tech and software building, helping us remain on the forefront on today’s latest technology.
- Collaborating with colleagues and business analysts to determine customer needs and producing quality, intuitive software designs
- Formulating prototypes and program specs
- Transforming client visions, software designs, and specifications into high-functioning coding
- Integrating disparate data and software solutions with higher level software solutions
- Creating advanced SaaS when applicable
- Performing routine code tests to ensure that systems are working properly; debugging systems when appropriate
- Performing periodic upgrades/updates to ensure ongoing security and efficiency
- Collaborating with technical writers to create documentation for user support
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field
- 2+ years of proven experience as a programmer
- Ability to program in languages such as C Experience in developing web applications using web framework JSF, Spring MVC, or Wicket
- Extensive knowledge of relational databases, SQL, and ORM technologies
- Attention to detail, critical thinking, and an analytical mind
- Ability to troubleshoot, discovering and resolving coding errors and fixing errors in code
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- 3+ years of related experience, learning every aspect of this dynamic industry
- Experience working with cross-functional teams
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.