WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Director of Retail Operations Job Description
Below is our director of retail operations job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Director of Retail Operations Job Description
Our director of retail operations is in charge of coordinating and standardizing practices across all retail locations. When it comes to managing multiple locations, it’s imperative that directors understand how to achieve consistency. They play a huge role in customer retention and are expected to work with upper management to devise and execute plans that will improve employee performance and streamline operational efficiency. They will need to visit the different stores and ensure that the staff understands all directives and motivate leaders to hit their revenue goals by controlling costs.
- Ensuring that operational standards remain consistent across all store locations
- Communicating expectations to store leaders and general staff
- Writing manuals that detail the standards for each store
- Spontaneously visiting stores to ensure that supervisors and staff are following directives
- Designing layouts of store merchandise
- Teaching staff how to display retail goods in the event of a one-off sale or discount
- Managing costs by performing inventory analysis
- Determining optimal stock levels for each store by reviewing past sales
- Scheduling deliveries and inventory replenishment according to store traffic
- Monitoring the cost of inventory, shrinkage, and operational expenses
- Adjusting procedures to maximize resources and prevent revenue loss
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 7 years of experience in the retail industry
- At least 2 years of experience in a supervisory role
- Excellent people skills, ability to motivate and teach leaders to succeed
- Experience drafting manuals and setting operational standards
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Visual merchandising background
- Ability to work with leaders to maintain consistency across all stores
- Excellent math and bookkeeping skills
- Willingness to travel to relevant store locations
- High school diploma or equivalent
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management
- Trade school education with Accounting specialty
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE